3.9 is in RC with new testable functions

Dear Turris testers,

we just released Turris OS 3.9 into the RC branch. All our new functions have been tested, but we would nevertheless appreciate your input as to their functionality. :slight_smile:

• Netmetr: the Netmetr project has been integrated into Foris as active bandwidth testing tool. To use the service just download the package “Internet connection speed measurement” an measure your bandwidth under the Updater tab in Foris. Out of technical reasons, we can measure speed only up to 200Mbp for now.
  • SSH Honeypot is migrating to HaaS (Honeypot as a Service). Statistics about attacks on your device have been moved to from Project Turris to project HaaS. To use the service, you need to register your e-mail, enable data collection and download the SSH Honeypot package in Foris. If you are already using our honeypots, you don’t need to register again and you can simply view the data about attacks on the HaaS project website.
  • PaKon: parental control/network monitoring is a new function, for now available as a CLI only preview.
  • Updater: moving and splitting configuration files. Files which have up to now been under /etc/updater/user.lua have been moved to /etc/updater/conf.d/user.lua
  • Foris: we made a few significant backend changes
  • Various package updates

Finally, we have one important piece of information for you. Because of changes in Updater, going from RC back to the production version of Turris OS (Deploy) will be slightly more complicated. Please use Schnapps or this recommended method:
wget https://repo.turris.cz/omnia/packages/turrispackages/updater-ng_59.4-2_mvebu.ipk
opkg-trans -a updater-ng_59.4-2_mvebu.ipk (https://repo.turris.cz/omnia/packages/turrispackages/updater-ng_59.4-2_mvebu.ipk)
switch-branch deploy

Happy testing,

your Team Turris

4 Likes

Update on TurrisOS 3.9 not work. Turris 1.1

Updater.sh log

WARN:Branch overriden to rc
WARN:Script revision-specific not found, but ignoring its absence as requested
WARN:Script serial-specific not found, but ignoring its absence as requested
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
DIE:
inconsistent: Requested package mitmproxy that is not available.
Aborted
Working on message: 1512494422-21379
Working on message: 1512494807-22059

You had to have mitmproxy installed explicitly. Try to remove it.

Thank you for reporting this. We will try to fix it for everyone else in next release.

I can’t update

Signature check passed. WARN:Branch overriden to rc WARN:Script revision-specific not found, but ignoring its absence as requested WARN:Script serial-specific not found, but ignoring its absence as requested line not found line not found line not found DIE: compilation: [string "auto-src"]:3: malformed number near '.1.0' Aborted Working on message: 1512498368-28524 User notifications are not enabled.

What version of Turris OS do you have? And what version of updater-ng?

cat /etc/turris-version
opkg list-installed | grep updater

[code]# cat /etc/turris-version

opkg list-installed | grep updater

updater-ng - 59.4-2
[/code]

@cynerd No, mitmproxy is first installed on my Turis, after a factory reboot.
Meaybe this is package for honeypot ?

Package removed and updater.sh not work:

root@turris:~# opkg list-installed | grep mitmproxy
root@turris:~# updater.sh
WARN:Branch overriden to rc
WARN:Script revision-specific not found, but ignoring its absence as requested
WARN:Script serial-specific not found, but ignoring its absence as requested
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
DIE:
inconsistent: Requested package mitmproxy that is not available.
Aborted
Working on message: 1512494422-21379
Working on message: 1512511766-13694

I have in Updater in Foris check SSH honeypot

Is it possible for the long run to focus more on stability instead of just “a new release” because it is time for a new one?
Right now and since a looooong time the wifi seems to be very unstable and it seems as if the new releases are not addressing such issue.

1 Like

I soled my problem. There were some old references to locally installed adblock packages in auto.lua. Removed those, and it works.

1 Like

Note that different users have different priorities. For example, some of them keep reminding the “parental-control” feature that was promised on Indiegogo already…

1 Like

@czlada Ok. I located problem. Will be fixed in next release. For now you can add this line to /etc/updater/user.lua:

Uninstall("mitmproxy")

Or disable ssh honeypot for now.
Thank you for reporting problem.

@psiegl Part of our job is to give you secure router and we do it by updating it. So no we won’t just focus on stability and won’t update your router for long time. Also if you think about it, web developer won’t be too useful in debugging kernel and wifi. And as @vcunat noted, features we are releasing were promised as part of campaign and we want to deliver them so stability is for some users issue but for others it’s missing promised features and are working on both types of issues.

3 Likes

@cynerd only opkg remove mitmproxy don’t work.
After update Turris not work.

@czlada you are giving misinformation here. First of all yes opkg remove mitmproxy doesn’t work as I acknowledged in just one post above yours and gave you two alternative approaches. And second we are discussing your problem in cz part of forum and that is where it belongs to because your problem is isolated to Turris 1.x and only with BTRFS (so not even to all Turris 1.x routers and no way to all Turris routers). You are just discouraging others from testing this release and we will end up with untested release that we have to release anyway. Nobody wins this way.

4 Likes

I see your point that there are different wishes and demands on depending who you ask. But at the end of the day it boils down to the fact that the turris omnia is some box within the network that primarily is used to route packets. Hence, wouldn’t it be of interest to divide future efforts into two aspects: core and features.
core would be there to support the basic needs that come along with a router, and that’s e.g. wifi. Stability, reliability and security should be the main concerns of this part.
Features is for stuff like you mentioned, that is also from interest, but certainly not as concerning as the first part.

Well, I would in theory go even one step further: everything concerning the second part should be encapsulated into LXC container, easing the process to make the router secure.

2 Likes

We just released new rc version. It contains fix for the problem with missing mitmproxy package. Please continue with testing.

Installed, better than yesterday (I have Turris 1.1 using BTRFS on SD card, yesterday did not start after an update - problem with kernel), but I have found 2 issues:

• Luci / Foris is not accesible on HTTPS, only on HTTP (404)
  • Problem in Foris, page “About router”, parsing problem with thermometer output
    Everything else works fine

Problems have been sent to tech support

Ups. Sorry I forgot to note that. We know about it and we already passed to appropriate developer. But thank you for reporting it anyway.

Really? I don’t have any problem with it. Can you please try to reinstall lighttpd-https-cert? opkg update && opkg --force-reinstall install lighttpd-https-cert.

• Luci / Foris is not accesible on HTTPS, only on HTTP (404)
    Sorry, my mistake, I did not notice the installer have rewritten my config file with changed https port 8443 …

The update of libknot to 2.6.x should work around DNS problems in various “smart devices”.

This should be fixed in new RC, that was released a while ago.