3.8.6 in rc for Omnia only

Dear Turris users,

we just pushed Turris OS 3.8.6 into RC for testing. This release is quite limited and fixes just one but nevertheless very important bug. Unfortunately solution is currently available only for Omnia users, we have no solution for old Turris routers yet.

Since the dawn of time, our routers were able to run software compiled just for them. Quite some users complained that they can’t run they favorite text editor their friend wrote and that we don’t have it in repositories and cross-compilation using SDK is not end-user friendly. And that we should have used Windows 3.11 to avoid all those problems. With 3.8.6, we finally at least partially address those complains and now you can finally run statically linked 386 (and x86_64) Linux binaries on your router. All you need to do is install qemu package that is now available in your repositories.

Enjoy and let us know any interesting use-cases you will find :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you don’t need sarcasms like “And that we should have used Windows 3.11 to avoid all those problems.” in your official communication

I’m sorry if it offended you, I thought that we would all agree that Windows 3.11 would be a bad choice contrary to all other requests that we got (nobody asked for Windows 3.11 yet). So what about Windows 3.1? Those didn’t have network support, so those would be a really bad idea for sure.

1 Like

You mention a bug and then explain the new qemu feature. What is the fixed bug?

No being able to run i386 binaries :smiley: Look at the release number, we just couldn’t resist the temptation :wink:

3 Likes

Haha, you guys … :slight_smile:

Doh! I guess I’ll have to wait a long time for 6502 support, then. :slight_smile: