3.8.1 in RC: better DNS work and new Nextcloud

Dear Turris testers,
we just released Turris OS 3.8.1 into RC branch. It is already tested but we would like to test it more :wink:

Changes are:

• forwarding to ISP’s DNS severs will be turned off automatically if the Internet connection is not working due to this setting
  • better check of DNS off in dnsmasq
  • new Nextcloud version with more features and better security :slight_smile:

The whole Turris team wishes you happy testing and we are looking forward to reading your feedback!

Deploy for all will be today in the late afternoon.

3 Likes

Podle repositáře bych to tipoval na verzi 12.0.3-1 … viz. tento odkaz

can we expect also SQM luci back, and missing get dhcp function?

Edit: luci-app-sqm is forcefully uninstalled, but at least it can be installed back from repository

Just updated to 3.8.1.

After having some DNS issues with 3.8. I spent a few hours fiddling with my Turris DNS configuration. I’m pretty technical but not very experienced with routers/network configurations. Please let me share some feedback and sources of confusion.

1. It was absolutely unclear to me that the knot resolver (aka kresd) was being used instead of dnsmasq for DNS. First few hours I was trying to enable DNS logging and troubleshoot why DNS resolving is not going through dnsmasq (being unaware of knot I suspected a different reason). I didn’t find any documentation from Turris team, except for a few hints in some forum posts. It would be great if you guys could put at least a note in the LuCi interface at /luci/admin/network/dhcp so that people like me who fiddle with Turris configuration once a year don’t have to bang heads against the wall.

2. @Vaclav said

better check of DNS off in dnsmasq

I agree that it would be safe to completely disable DNS subsystem from dnsmasq so that it is clear that it is just DHCP and not being used under any circumstances as DNS resolver. But I was unable to find a way ho to do that through Foris or LuCi via a checkbox (as OP suggests). As of 3.8.1 there is definitely nothing about it in Foris. And LuCi has many checkboxes but no clear way how to disable dnsmasq’s DNS subsystem altogether. I googled for dnsmasq docs and it is a complex mess. A few people[1] wrote that setting --port to 0 should disable it. I can do that via luci/admin/network/dhcpAdvanced SettingsDNS server port, but this is far from being intuitive. Also I won’t remember this in a few days, so next time I return back, I will be puzzled again…

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.openwrt.user/1854

1 Like
  1. there is the information in the official docs: https://www.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/dns
  2. --port 0 for dnsmasq is the default (meaning it’s disabled, or something like that).

I hope you’ve solved all your DNS problems now.

1 Like