2.5GbE WAN to 10GbE LAN - LAN ports binding (im)possible?

I have recently 1GbE WAN and 10GbE LAN.
Routing is done by first generation of Turris Omnia at 1GbE

My uplink is upgradeable to 2.5GbE, so I am now solving how to route that bandwidth to my 10GbE network.

Turris MOX has 2.5GbE WAN option, but I don’t see any LAN port binding to be able to pass that traffic to my 10GbE LAN switch (Netgear Pro and Buffalo switches).

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you

Tom

There is and there will not be any option to reach these goals with TO or MOX - they are simply not powerful enough (CPU/RAM) and therefore don’t offer ports with these speeds. There are some posts in this forum stating you could reach 400-600 MBit/s WAN on TO with heavily tweaking, but that’s it.
To reach your goal you need to build a router yourself using x86 hardware.

1 Like

For simply NAT/routing/firewall over DHCP I measured my omnia to reach an aggregate up- plus download rate of 1700 Mbps (goodput measured with flent’s bidirectionally saturatinf RRUL test) unidirectional test for up and downloed topped out at ~935 Mbps. With bidirectional traffic shaping of saturating loads I reached ~500/500 Mbps. That does not indicate that a TO would be suffcient for 2.5 or 10 Gbps links, but it gives some context for the 400-600 Mbps number :wink:

x86 is a decent idea, it also turns out that the current raspberry pi 4B with its one true gigabit etrhernt adapter together with a USB3 secondary ethernet adapter makes a rather powerful router that will traffic shape at 1Gbps bidirectionally without breaking a sweat. And at ~100EUR it will be considerably cheaper than any new x86. Any existing TO or MOX can then take over duty as AP :wink:

That unfortunately doesn’t help for @Tomas_Petru’s needs:

• 2,5GBE-uplink: there are no (and most probably will never be) USB(3/3.1)-to-SFP+ adapters commercial available. You will need to stick to your provider’s modem in that case (see below).
  • for connecting a 10 GBE downlink you right now still need thunderbolt 3 connectivity. The best you might get with USB3 is a 5GBE connection, for which there have been adapters announced but I don’t know whether they are available yet. (Still that will not reach 5GBE as it is USB3.1 Gen2, which has a 10GBit uplink)
    And again - Raspberry Pi is embedded device which probably will not be capable of traffic shaping 2,5GBE WAN.

But you are right - x86 is expensive and will always be…

1 Like

Not sure about that traffic shaping at 1Gbps only takes around 30% of one on the Pi’s cores, so the CPU might just be beefy enough to even shape at 2.5 Gbps, and simple routing/firewalling/NAT tends to be considerably cheaper.
But your other points are well taken, it seems impossible to get two >= 2.5 Gbps interfaces connected to a Pi4B, so that proposal truly was besides the OP’s needs/desires; it would allow a reasonably cheap router for his current 1Gbps link, not that he was looking for that though.

IIRC the switch-chip in Omnia is 1G per port and it has two ports towards CPU/WAN, i.e. I believe you can’t push even the HW faster than 2G for WAN<->LAN traffic. Moreover, Turris OS 4.x had (maybe still has) one of these two disabled due to upstream changes done in switch management, so that would cap you at 1G (EDITs: fixed in beta10; thanks Pepe).

1 Like

I also add that Omnia should be capable of 2.5G uplink trough SFP. Of course you need module with that speed.

I won’t help you with downlink. You could potentially setup bouding on lan ports and theoretically reach 2G that way if you have 10G switch in the other side. You could figure out something with USB 3.0 but in the end Omnia is 1G network device and it won’t do miracles.

1 Like

there are nbase-t usb adaptor available for ~40e

https://geizhals.de/?cat=nwpcie&xf=14065_LAN-Adapter~14066_extern+kabelgebunden~14075_zwofuenf&sort=p#productlist