WiFi radio test

My issue is that it’s loosing throughput the longer my devices are connected to it. My S6 starts out at 260 Mbit on iperf, but goes down to below 100 Mbit after some hours. Disconnecting and reconnecting the phone restores the 260 Mbit throughput. Any idea what I could look into? Thanks a lot.

ok, anything in the kernel log?

you could also try the latest one, from the official repo, maybe it’s already fixed → ath10k-firmware/QCA988X/hw2.0/10.2.4-1.0/firmware-5.bin_10.2.4-1.0-00029 at master · kvalo/ath10k-firmware · GitHub

mv it to /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/firmware-5.bin and reboot

Thanks a lot. At least it makes throughput much more steady for me and yields a bit (~20Mbit) higher throughput in iperf. Those wild fluctuations are gone. It still has some breakdowns every couple minutes, but so far it seems to get back up.

I’ll stress test it some days and report back.

Actually those breakdowns all look very similar. First down to ~180Mbit, then down to ~70Mbit and it lasts always around 4 seconds. Nothing in the logs, though.

Is there a new firmware for the R11e-2HPnD / AR9580 I could try for the 2.4Ghz Wifi as well? For me throughput is also pretty choppy.

new firmware here
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/raw/master/QCA988X/hw2.0/10.2.4.70/firmware-5.bin_10.2.4.70.63-2

nah, that’s an older branch… but maybe worth a try, too

Thats interesting to me too. But I didnt find simple firmware bin as for 5GHz, so dunno if replace&try drivers will be easy and simple same way.

that’s an ath9k card, it needs no firmware… i actually had lower power version of it and didn’t like it all all, it had a really poor receiving sensitivity, unstable connections and so on.

What card did you end up using? stock?

well, iv’e got some more APs in the network for 5GHz coverage, for now i’m using the wle900 in the omnia in 2.4GHz mode (of course i removed the diplexers)… but i heard the wle200 might be quite ok for 2.4GHz, didn’t test it though