WiFi accesspoint to be used with Omnia

Hello, do you have some recommendation for good AP to be used with Omnia? Currently 5GHz wifi so totally unreliable, so I would like to use some external device. 5GHz, stable…

… just wondering. What exactly is wrong in your case? There are many reported issues with wifi after system update to 3.3 or/and 3.4, just look around this forum. Sometimes even if thread is for 2,4G there are comments also for 5G. As i understand upcoming update to 3.5 should solve most of it.

I have similar problems like those alerady reported - time to time 5Ghz just stop working. 3.3/3.4 did not solved that, in fact it is still “next update will solve it”.

I like all that idea of Omnia and thik its great project, I also understand that its still being developed, but I did not expected that there will be such problems with basic functionality Omnia is being presented as finished secure router and such problems can damage its reputation.

Short version: - wifi is not reliable so I am looking for easiest solution, using external AP looks easiest now.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m thinking in the same way as you do. I’m looking forward for UniFi AP AC LR Pro, UniFi AP LR or mAP from MikroTik.

I can recommend UBNT UniFi AP AC PRO, that I use without problems for seven months.

I use a Linksys WRT1900AC (v1) for my AP. it’s running OpenWRT CC (with a few tweaks) and is stable on both 2.4 and 5GHz although most clients are hitting it on the 2.4GHz band. 5GHz is strong, stable and fast. This isn’t because I had any issues with the Omnia, which I only ever planned to use as a router. In that mode, it’s been rock solid. The AP is centrally located in the house and the TO is in the basement so wouldn’t be ideal for wifi anyway.