Wi-Fi Band Steering

Hi there,

Can anyone teach me how to enable band steering on Turris Omnia? I would like to use the same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz then I would like my Omnia to prefer 5GHz band when clients signal are good for both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz). Is it possible for Omnia as I can do it with Ubiquiti unifi…

Thanks and regards.

You can do it with DAWN its already in TurrisOS 6.x. I have it configured with 4 APs on two Omnias.
Additionally to band steering you could add Fast Transition +FT to your wifi networks so it will smootly
change network. I tested it and I can have open ssh session and move around the house. It will
switch between networks without loosing ssh session.

4 Likes

Hello again :slight_smile:

I’m trying to implement DAWN just to band steer on single Omnia with the same ssid on both radios but my notebook is still “glued” to 2,4GHz despite DAWN score 140 in 5GHz vs 70 in 2,4 shown for few moments in LuCI > DAWN > Hearing Map (I’m not sure why it most of the times shows only value in one band )

@MiKe if you have not figured it out, see my notes in Seamless extension of WiFi/WLAN range - #4 by cendalc - imho you need to use active rrm_mode.