VLAN Config works on MOX but not on Omnia

Hello again,

I know, there already exist a lot of VLAN and TOS5 topics on this forum, but unfortunately I didn’t find anything describing my problem. If there is, feel free to give me a hint.

After my failed attempt at upgrading my TOS3 Turris Omnia to TOS5, I tried another route. This time I set up a Turris MOX (with Power Wifi + Super Ethernet) with the needed Configs, and then replaced the Omnia. This is working as expected. After this, I flashed a fresh TOS5 onto the Omnia, and re-did the Config there, so it looks mostly identical to the MOX

Almost everything works as expected, but there is one little detail that does not work (and unfortunately breaks my network setup). I have a setup like this:

[rpi1]—[MOX untagged lan3 br-iot]–[MOX tagged lan2.12 br-iot]–[switch]-[rpi2]

So I have a Client on an untagged port in my iot vlan connected to the Router, Then the Router connects through a trunk port to a switch, and And the the other Client connected to the Switch as well With the MOX in the middle this all works nicely, rpi1 and rpi2 can ping each other, as well as the MOX and vice versa

If I take out the MOX and put the Omnia in its place, It stops working. The Omnia can ping both rpi1 and rpi2 just fine, so the connection on the untagged port and the trunk port works. but rpi1 and rpi2 can’t ping / connect to each other anymore.

The Network config on both the MOX and the Omnia looks like this:

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fd55:55:55::/48'

config interface 'wan6'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'
	option ifname '@wan'

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'eth0'
	option proto 'dhcp'
	option ipv6 '1'
	option hostname 'turris-mox'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option macaddr 'd8:58:d7:00:c7:cb'
	option _turris_mode 'managed'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.252.0'
	option ip6assign '64'
option ip6ifaceid '::1:1'
	option ipaddr '192.168.55.1'
	option ifname 'lan1 tap0'

config interface 'iot'
	option proto 'static'
	option type 'bridge'
	option delegate '0'
	option ipaddr '10.55.12.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ifname 'lan2.12 lan3 lan4'

config interface 'dmz'
	option proto 'static'
	option ifname 'lan2.11'
	option type 'bridge'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option delegate '0'
	option ipaddr '10.55.11.1'

config interface 'guest'
	option proto 'static'
   	option type 'bridge'
 	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option delegate '0'
	option ipaddr '10.55.13.1'
	option ifname 'lan2.13 lan5 lan6 lan7 lan8'
	option ip6assign '64'
	option ip6ifaceid '::13:1'

config interface 'mgmt'
	option proto 'static'
	option ifname 'lan2.14'
	option type 'bridge'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option delegate '0'
	option ipaddr '10.55.14.1'

Both the MOX and the Omnia run TurrisOS 5.1.8 with nearly identical configs (exept for the HW-Related differences, like WAN being eth2 on the Omnia etc…) Firewall is set up the same way (copied config from the MOX to the Omnia)

So my Question is: What am I missing here? The config ist as it is described in the VLAN Documentation. Is there some special trick on the Omnia I’m missing? Or have I hit some strange bug? Btw. This is the exact same behaviour I saw when I tried to Upgrade TOS3 to TOS5 on the Omnia.

Thanks in advance for any hints or further things to try, at the moment I have no idea how to proceed from this.

You could try to use Omnias WAN Port as your trunc port (use eth2.XX in the bridge config instead of Lan2.XX). You may then configure a LAN Port (e.g. LAN4) as your WAN port in WAN Interface.

Thereby you would bypass Omnias internal switch for your vlan config. Maybe this helps.

I don‘t want to blame the internal switch for not working with vlans at all, I just had some strange traffic problems with it by myself using vlans on it and this workaround fixed it…

Wow, thanks for this tip - it actually works :grinning: - without any further changes to the config. This at least tells me that it’s not a problem with my config, but apparently with the switch chip and how it handles trunk ports / tagged ports in TOS5.

If I can do anything to help debug this I’m willing to do so - I have a spare port that I can configure on the Omnia to quickly switch the trunk connection back and forth…

You‘re welcome :slight_smile: , even though it‘s only a workaround…