Mounts fine but immediately fails on access. drive works elsewhere.
I had the same kind of problem with the temporary 8GB USB memorystick which majordomo was set to write to.
I moved to install a spare SSD I had.
As i can see it is a “WD10 JPVX-22JC3T0”, which is a 2.5 inch hard drive. This must have external casing an PROBABLY also a separate ac-adapter. Could you also try the other usb-port on the Omnia.
Besides trying that, could you also try using using a usb-flash drive, which i SUSPECT would work just fine. If this is indeed the case, then PROBABLY this has to do with the fact that if the external-hard drive-case Is NOT having a own ac-adapter, then it is getting not enough power from the USB3.0 of the Omnia it self to power your hard drive.
If indeed this is the case, try using a ac-powered USB-HUB between the Omnia and the hard drive case. This could solve the issue with USB3.0 not giving enough power, which is also kind of bizarre. I am not sure if this is a bug or so.
…that is absolutely hilarious if true. My previous router that I used had enough power on its port. Actually I can test this as soon as I find my USB power meter
Tried dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/null and instant failure. Looks like it is a power issue. Amusingly, the omnia can’t even provide 5 volts of power, only 4.7-4.8. once it reaches 0.5 amps it fails.
Laptop on the other hand does 5.1.
I purchased a Y cable to use the power from the other port as well. I have a weird feeling it won’t help though. I didn’t have this problem before a recent update though. Probably some kernel regression.
Look on the bright side, you will be able to know the exact cause . Having some information is way better then having none.
Do keep us informed of the progress. Is always good to know that something is wrong.