Upgrade Omnia internally or externally?

I recently upgraded my WAN connection from 35 to 400 Mbps (actual, through my Omnia), which revealed that my entire LAN needed upgrading. I’ve already upgraded my backbone to Cat6, and now it is time for the following (in priority order):

1. WiFi 6 (WiFi 5 will do short-term, if cheap and WiFi 6 support is on the way)
  2. Multiple AP support with coordinated management (device handoff, load-balancing)
  3. Replace external NAS media (USB3 SATA SSD adapter) with internal NVMe SSD
  4. 5G LTE WAN backup (4G will do short-term, if cheap and 5G support pending)

I plan to keep my Omnia (original IGG version, running latest TOS3) as my primary WAN interface (gateway, firewall, etc.) and as the LAN DHCP and NAS server. I’ll upgrade from TOS3 to TOS5, if needed.

I’m trying to decide if it is worth opening my Omnia to perform hardware upgrades, or if it would be better to disable the Omnia WiFi and upgrade my LAN via external Ethernet/USB devices.

What are the best uses for the Omnia slots and USB interfaces? I’d like my Omnia to do everything it can do best running unmodified TOS (to ensure I stay secure, so no custom builds or manual driver installs), while avoiding known problems and weaknesses.

This will be the only mid-life upgrade for my Omnia, as I expect my next upgrade will be to get whatever super-box Turris.CZ is making several years from now.

Thanks!

-BobC

1 Like
  1. Not supported internally yet.
  2. Probably the best way to get a more flexible setup. Do you have coverage issues?
  3. mSATA or try to experiment with m.2 adapter + NVMe SSD
  4. most adapters are m.2, you may need an adapter and better cooling
  1. Does TOS provide support any WiFi 5 interfaces? I mainly want WiFi 6 for its support of low-power operation with IoT devices, but I can add a separate WiFi 6 AP to my existing isolated PoE IoT/HA/surveillance LAN. WiFi 5 should be good enough for everything else.

2. I want to drop my WiFi power and go with MIMO, to stop competing with my neighbors for bandwidth (some of whom shout way above FCC limits). I also have terrible WiFi reception outside due to having a stucco exterior.

3. Sounds good. I suspect my current USB solution will be OK, as the NAS is mainly used for backups. I’ll go with NVMe only if I need the USB port for other uses.

4. I was worried about cooling, but not much: If needed, I can add a fan then design and 3D-print some custom ducts.

Thanks!

-BobC

The simple fact is I bought my Omnia for the TOS software. The Omnia hardware was simply the only way to get TOS. So long as TOS works, I’m happy!

So I’ll do my WiFi and other hardware upgrades outside of the Omnia. Because of TOS, I’m better off using my Omnia as a hardwired router until my WAN speed exceeds 1 Gbps. Which may never happen!

I’ve been very happy with the upgrade to TOS 5. Turris is keeping pace with OpenWrt upstream now, and quickly incorporates security updates. You might consider upgrading first before hardware changes.

Thanks!

My impression was that TOS 5 is still a bit rough, and is not yet recommended for general adoption. In particular, it seems to be a “bare-metal” upgrade, meaning my present configuration won’t persist. My fear is I’ve done so many tweaks to TOS 3 that I’ll be unable to remember them all, much less recreate them under TOS 5. I was hoping TOS 5 would mature to include a seamless upgrade path before trying it myself.