Updater failing (conflicts?)

Any update on when this will be released and resolved?

Functionality referred in this topic is already released. Your problem isn’t in missing priority resolution in updater, but that dnsmasq is considered being critical for Turris OS. Unfortunately there is no way of using dnsmasq-full without disabling updater right now, because dnsmasq-full collides with dnsmasq and because critical software have to be installed in system. We acknowledged this problem and we definitely want to fix it. There is post somewhere about it from @vorner (try search). But currently there are more pressing issues causing problems with software that is shipped by default. So we can’t really say when this is going to be fixed.

Edit: Name fixed. My bad.

1 Like

I am using updater-ng resp. corespond user.lua file to handle packages i-want/dont-want. So far so good. No more conflicts (that priority vallue is working, so i am fine …)

I wasn’t able to find the post you refer to using the following

https://forum.test.turris.cz/search?expanded=true&q=updater%20%40worner

Do you have a link to it?

Did the update include the ability to configure the updater to ignore certain packages, this was spoken about a while ago as a potential solution to the issue and was mentioned to be in the next release?

His nickname is @vorner instead of worner, but I found it for you:

Repeat after me:
‘Knot DNS is not critical software.’

2 Likes

Didn’t I answered somewhere that DNS server is pretty important? Oh yes in topic linked here.

I think a system to solve this type of issues it can be implement a “OR” in package lists, at future.

For example something as:
Install ("dnsmasq" || "dnsmasq-full") {critical = true}

I think too that the package list it can be revised and purged, for example at this time the packages kresd-resolver and unbound both are installed with {critical=true}. DNS server is pretty important, ok. But I understand that kresd-resolver is developed by your team and always will are in “base” package list as {critical=true} but unbound I understand that is in “base” package list by historical reasons and well, but it not have because be {critical=true}.

This is my opininon, your team can be other opinion and I understand at this time there is issues with more priority.

The reason for unbound being critical is that the same software is used on the old PowerPC-based Turris routers, where LuaJIT is not supported, so Knot DNS resolver would not work there properly.

“Unfortunately there is no way of using dnsmasq-full without disabling updater right now, because dnsmasq-full collides with dnsmasq and because critical software have to be installed in system” is really annoying, especially for those who need dnsmasq-full functionality, same applies to ip-full also… ;-(