Update wireguard package and related tools

Hi, as you may notice the wireguard package is very old, 0.0.20171017-1.
This is a very actively developed project and should probably be updated once a month.

Several important packages are missing in the Omnia repo as well, such as
luci-app-wireguard
luci-proto-wireguard.

I ended up installing those packages from
https://archive.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/mvebu/generic/packages/luci/

Some luci file had to be modified to avoid the base64 decode error,
/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua - remove line 165 and reboot.
I must say that in OpenWRT for arm this doesn’t happen and everything works perfect out
of the box. This is the related open issue on Gitlab:

Honestly I’m quite disappointed that an important package like this is not being part of the default
install, and given a low priority to fix. Also it is very lightweight so there is no reason why vpnc, openconnect
are part of the base system while Wireguard isn’t. The way I had to install it takes time, and is harder to backup and restore after future software upgrades.

Speaking of the good part, this are the speeds I was able to get on Omnia with Wireguard and my VPN provider:

1 Like

FULL ACK

Interesting to read Mulvad’s blog statement:

WireGuard is the future

and they demonstrate their beliefs with their offering of WireGuard servers.

just my 2 cents…

Bump.
Still waiting for comments about Wireguard.
I am starting to be really disappointed with the way CZ.NIC are handling this project.
What was supposed to be a great, innovative router now ends up with minor releases
of old LEDE code with very few important packages being up to date.

For some users, the most important thing is to have a pure and open OpenWRT system,
something I don’t see as an official option for over 2 years.
I really wait now for 18.06, so far official images from
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06-SNAPSHOT/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/
worked fine.

Can’t really understand why official devs think that we all need Knot, Foris, Pakon, MiniDLNA, Mjpg Streamer,
and all other junk that is bundled with official Omnia images should take priority.
Sorry to call it junk, but if there is no official image without it, for users like me it’s nothing but bloatware.
Maybe it’s a time for a real clean fork of OpenWRT based on this board and hardware, with the main goal being keeping up as much as possible with OpenWRT, without all the CZ.NIC stuff on top of it.

Definition of important is subjective :wink: We have limited resources as everybody so we focus mainly on what we see as typical usecase.

We are open, we accept pull requests and even try to fulfill some requests out of order when we see the demand. Regarding new version of OpenWRT, we are working on rebasing it and should be released by the end of this year. We need to ensure smooth migration first. But if you don’t care about that, there will option for experienced/brave users a little bit sooner.

Because Pakon is what we promised we will do in the campaign and people are asking for it and using it. We also have great amount of users that appreciate user friendly UI like Foris. And as we position ourselves as secure router and we are DNS registry, we want to provide our users with extra protection of DNSSEC.

If you don’t care about any of those, you can easily uninstall them. Majority of users wants system that is simple to setup and just works. We don’t test your usecase (strip down and replace some parts) so we don’t provide images for it. But if you know what you are doing and are willing to face the consequences, you can uninstall whatever you want - Foris, LuCI, … And you can still use updater to do that :wink:

I have seen at least 10 persons here the last 6 months asking for an update of wireguard (at least the base packages, not talking about the Luci integration).
So what would it take for the turris team to implement this small package update?
I expect that it would take less time than answering forum posts about it.

2 Likes

Package housekeeping has been raised in various instances and discussed to exhaustion throughout the forum. The essence being that unless the TO teams finds the time/resources you are at diy and perhaps even contributing with pull requests to the project. Or be patient until TOS 4.0 rolls out.

Hello guys,

You’d need to see it also from another side, because the number, which you mention is not that high within 6 months. We’re trying to fulfill some request out of order when we see the demand.

Anyway, pull requests are welcome. Our source code can be found on our Gitlab and mirrored on GIthub even I started to look closer into packages, so it’s not so hard as I thought, and together we can make a better release for you.

I asked @paja , if we can update it. We have opened the case for it on our Gitlab, where you can see the progress of it.

Hi guys,
the current installer of wireguard does not proper install the packages:

opkg update && opkg install luci-proto-wireguard luci-app-wireguard luci-i18n-wireguard-de

Installing luci-app-wireguard (git-21.062.76689-a607f9c-1) to root…
Downloading https://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/packages/luci/luci-app-wireguard_git-21.062.76689-a607f9c-1_all.ipk

Collected errors:
… Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-wireguard:
wireguard-tools
kmod-wireguard
wireguard-tools
opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-wireguard.

Firmware Version TurrisOS 4.0.1 80076f9 / LuCI branch (git-19.281.84184-0b4eebd)
Kernel 4.14.148
Model Turris Omnia 2020

Hi,

You should update your router first to use the latest version before installing new packages.
Turris OS 4.0.1 is outdated and not supported. Once you have running the updated version, then it should work as it should.

Thank you for this hint. Due to an unstable DSL link I am scared about online updating. I have interruptions 3 to 5 times the day. I read somewhere in this forum about offline updating, but could not find it again. Regards

See https://docs.turris.cz/hw/omnia/rescue-modes/#rollback-to-factory-reset - Re-flash router: download the latest version of Turris Omnia’s system image and you can update your Omnia offline :wink:

Yes, thank you fyi, I saves the configuration (1) via Foris and (2) via Luci Interface. What is the most reliable approach for exporting and re-importing the configuration?

Sorry, I don’t know how to re-import configuration back other than to display it and manualy reenter configuration files… Otherwise, you can use schnapps to export whole image of current OS status to external media and after mediakit update of OS to import it an mount it and subsequently reintroduce your configuration (see schnapps documentation https://docs.turris.cz/geek/schnapps/schnapps/)… But please be warned - there most probably are differences between configuration settings for major OS versions… thus you’ll most probably would have to set configuration anew… Good luck!