Turris OS kernel sources

I’d like to attempt to get a different distro running on my Omnia. Is there an easy way go get the fully patched Linux kernel sources for Turris OS? All I’ve found so far is Turris / Turris OS / Turris Build · GitLab, which seems to be a patchset for OpenWRT, which would then produce, among other things, a patchset for the Linux kernel. Is there an easier way to get the fully patched kernel sources than that?

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Turris/Omnia

Maybe this will help a bit. But keep in mind some stuff might not work.

Turris Omnia is fully supported in the upstream kernel with exception of SFP if I am not wrong. The only missing part was LEDs and those are supported now as well (I do not remember exactly kernel version this got in). The issue with SFP is that in upstream there is only device tree with PHY. You have to modify it to switch to SFP.

Thank you for your answers. But the SFP port is exactly the reason I’m trying to use the TOS kernel. The rest does indeed work fine with an upstream kernel.

You are looking for this patch: patches/openwrt/wip/0005-Turris-Omnia-Improved-suppport.patch · hbk · Turris / Turris OS / Turris Build · GitLab and you have to update it for the upstream kernel.

In short, you want to enable armada-385-turris-omnia.dts « dts « boot « arm « arch - kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree and disable armada-385-turris-omnia.dts « dts « boot « arm « arch - kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree. Or you have to update u-boot to get automatic switching (although we right now do not have stable instructions for this).

1 Like

Hello,
you can get some inspiration how to enable automagic SFP/PHY switching here https://github.com/tmshlvck/turris-debian

That looks very interesting, is there any way to get a hold of the uncompiled dts files?

@cynerd I slightly misunderstood you :sweat:. On a 5.15 kernel, I disabled the ethernet device and wondered why it wasn’t working. But if you follow exactly what the comments in the dts files say, then it works. The TOS downstream patches also aren’t needed anymore in that case. Ty

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.