Turris OS 7.0 is in rc!

6.5.2 → 7.0.0 RC1 update not okay due to kresd6, otherwise it would probably be almost smooth (see further). Cable/wifi/internet went down during the update and came back up after update and before restart (but DNS was broken due to kresd6). Restart was needed. The update took about 15 minutes.

To fix kresd by unchecking the Kresd6 package list, I first had to add nameserver 8.8.8.8 at the beginning of /etc/resolv.conf to get the updater to resolve hostnames. If anybody is planning the update, uninstall kresd6 before the update, you’ll save yourself some time.

I first wanted to fix DNS by switching to unbound, but it is not installed! There is no binary called unbound or unbound-control, and restarting resolver ends up with an error about not finding unbound-control. opkg says unbound is not installed. I thought it gets installed by default to be ready to be used instead of kresd. But maybe I’m wrong.

IKEv2 VPN installed according to this guide got broken - but that is expected because the guide depends on overwriting installed strongswan scripts. However, even the installed script is buggy - there are 3 references to swanctl_append4 function which is not defined. They should be swanctl_xappend4. To fix the strongswan server from the guide, just replace /etc/init.d/strongswan again with the file from the guide.

OpenVPN worked without issues after the update (even with broken DNS as it actually does not depend on it).

PPtP VPN server got broken, I don’t know why. On a connection attempt, Omnia says: GRE: read(fd=6,buffer=421422,len=8196) from PTY failed: status = -1 error = I/O error, usually caused by unexpected termination of pppd, check option syntax and pppd logs. Not sure if it’s related to: Plugin /usr/lib/pptpd/pptpd-logwtmp.so is for pppd version 2.4.8, this is 2.4.9.

After the update, I’ve also noticed transmission service hogging one CPU core (as already reported), even though I don’t actually use it for anything (I probably enabled it for some torrent download and forgot to disable). I’ve disabled it for now.

fail2ban did not work after the update. Reinstall helped. The error before was:

# fail2ban-client status openvpn
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/fail2ban-client", line 34, in <module>
    from fail2ban.client.fail2banclient import exec_command_line, sys
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'fail2ban'

Last, I also see some of this error which is new in the logs:

(Command failed: ubus call service signal { "name": "rainbow-animator", "signal": 10 } (Not found))

Thanks a lot for your work regarding this update!

Turris Omnia 2017, 1 GB RAM, dead eMMC, system running from mSATA SSD, original wifi cards, UBoot 2022.10. Storage plugin enabled, LXC containers, tor relay, USB HDD shared over samba4 and minidlna, Syncthing, SQM, Hardwario gateway + MQTT IoT bridge, OpenVPN, PPtP VPN, Strongswan IKEv2 VPN, morce.

1 Like