Turris OS 6.0 is released

Dear Turris users,

We have been working on Turris OS 6.0 release for some time and it is time to let you know that we released it to the stable branch. This version is based on top of OpenWrt 21.02.05 release.

It includes many changes like having support for Wi-Fi 6 cards, we reworked LEDs drivers for all Turris devices, which is now using Linux kernel solution. There is a new login gateway, also if you would like to setup and configure Nextcloud, there is plugin in reForis, but that’s not all. All the changes you can find in the release note and what has been removed in this release is our old user interface Foris.

Release notes:
:boom: Breaking Changes

• Based on the latest OpenWrt 21.02.5 release
    • LuCI supports L2 and L3 configuration
  • Updated LTS kernel to versions:
    • 5.15 for Turris Omnia, Turris MOX, Turris Shield
    • 5.10 for Turris 1.x
  • Foris removed (use reForis exclusively now)
  • Lighttpd uses number prefixes for configuration files to ensure a predictable order

:rocket: New Features

• Morce (integrated IDS)
  • reForis Nextcloud plugin
  • Wi-Fi 6 cards supported
  • Turris Auth (login gateway)
  • PaKon moved to a separate page
  • New LEDs driver for all routers
    • Changed default colors of LED (e.g. Power LED is now green)
  • Dashboard in LuCI
  • NetMetr supports measurement with IPv6 address
  • Improved support for Turris 1.x routers
    • New Device Tree
    • PowerPC SPE utilized – should improve performance
    • Knot Resolver by default

:bug: Bug Fixes

• Allow managing interfaces in reForis for Turris 1.x
  • Fixed Ethernet ports numbering for Turris MOX in reForis

:pushpin: Updates

• Python version 3.7 ➔ 3.9
  • Lighttpd version ➔ 1.4.67
  • Nextcloud version ➔ 22.2.10

:package: Other Changes

• Obsolete SIDN package feed dropped

All routers, which are using automatic updates will be automatically updated to this version. If you are using approvals or delayed updates, please check the notification in reForis for further details how to update your router.

If you find any bugs, please let us know by reaching our support department and as always we appreciate feedback regarding this release.

12 Likes

Known bugs

High:

Medium/Low:

FAQ:

Q: Requested package ‘foo’ that is not available.
A: Remove the package, if you don’t need it. It was probably renamed or removed from the OpenWrt.
For example:

1. If you were using package wireguard, then it is not available as it is now included in the Linux kernel, you would need to install kmod-wireguard.
1 Like

That’s really great news! Turris OS 6 a big step forward in so many areas that allows for many new features and use cases! It’s really an accomplishment that you guys at CZ.NIC managed to pull it off despite the current staffing situation! :clap:

3 Likes

After updating, there is only one option left in luci: System → Rainbow.

Everything else is gone. Where are all the other options?

1 Like

Try rebooting just once again.

Try incognito mode or different browser to see if the issue persits.

Thanks, that worked :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unfortunately I have following problem on Turis 1.1:

“Bohužel nebyly ve vašem routeru detekovány žádné karty pro bezdrátové připojení.”
“No wireless cards detected on the router”

9 Likes

could you help with this error?

root@turris:~# pkgupdate
INFO:Target Turris OS: 6.0
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
inconsistent: Package ksmbd-server requires package kmod-fs-ksmbd that is not available.
root@turris:~# opkg list-installed | grep ksmbd-server
root@turris:~# opkg list-installed | grep kmod-fs-ksmbd
root@turris:~#
1 Like

I had to reboot it to make the networks work again! It’s very annoying in the middle of the day when I need everything to be online.

Error notifications

Updater failed: Failed operations:

fix-omnia-leds-migrate/postinst: Command failed: Not found

/usr/libexec/rainbow/led_activity.sh: line 165: /sys/class/leds/rgb:wan/trigger: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/class/leds/rgb:wan/trigger: No such file or directory

Warning: activity setup failed for: wan

/usr/libexec/rainbow/led_activity.sh: line 165: /sys/class/leds/rgb:wlan-2/trigger: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/class/leds/rgb:wlan-2/trigger: No such file or directory

Warning: activity setup failed for: wlan-2

/usr/libexec/rainbow/led_activity.sh: line 165: /sys/class/leds/rgb:wlan-3/trigger: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/class/leds/rgb:wlan-3/trigger: No such file or directory

Warning: activity setup failed for: wlan-3

Command failed: Not found

6 Likes

Would it be possible if you proceed with the steps mentioned in the documentation for reporting bugs?

Please, see the Known bugs in the 2nd post.

Ok, what can I do about this? This doesn’t seem to interfere with the core operations. Should I just wait for the next update?

Still why would you push a “stable” update which breaks the network and needs a manual restart? My router wasn’t accessible on WiFi and I had to come by it.

1 Like

I had the same error, and it also brought my network to a halt (first time ever using the Turris router). So I had to send someone to restart the router manually, which worked fine, also no error logs in the boot log.

The rainbow error messages are harmless. They are there just because the kernel provides the old sysfs and new rainbow expects the new one that will be available after a reboot.

1 Like

I’m really angry.
My home network stopped working because of this update.
What is the worst that you exposed Foris configuration UI fully to the Internet - I could open Forris without any login. After the rooter reboot Foris UI is still accessible from the Internet and requires login.
Why you expose Foris to the Internet!
What is the user name for login - previous configuration login required only password?

3 Likes

To samé No wireless cards detected on the router

2 Likes

Update just happened on Turris Omnia and now I can’t access web interface neither with incognito mode nor without, neither luci nor reforis are accessible.

Samba is also unavailable.

Ssh is accessible (but the key was changed, so here is another issue to handle).

Lighttpd is enabled, but can’t start it seems for some reason.

Output from service:

root@tower:~# service Usage: service [command] The following services are available: Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/adblock disabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/ahcpd disabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/asm1062-fix enabled stopped /etc/init.d/atd enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/atsha204-feed-entropy enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon disabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/bcp38 disabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/blockd disabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/boot enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/bootcount disabled stopped /etc/init.d/cron enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/dbus disabled stopped /etc/init.d/dnsmasq enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/done enabled stopped /etc/init.d/firewall enabled stopped /etc/init.d/foris-controller enabled running /etc/init.d/foris-ws enabled running /etc/init.d/fosquitto enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/fstab enabled stopped /etc/init.d/gpio_switch enabled stopped /etc/init.d/haas-proxy enabled running /etc/init.d/haveged enabled running /etc/init.d/hd-idle enabled stopped /etc/init.d/kresd disabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/led enabled stopped /etc/init.d/lighttpd enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/lm-sensors enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/lvm2 enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/mosquitto disabled stopped /etc/init.d/network enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/nfsd disabled stopped /etc/init.d/odhcpd enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/php7-fpm enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/rainbow enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/rainbow-animator disabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/rainbow-button-sync disabled stopped /etc/init.d/relayd enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/resolver enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/rpcbind disabled stopped /etc/init.d/rpcd enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/rsyncd disabled stopped /etc/init.d/samba4 enabled running /etc/init.d/sentinel-dynfw-client enabled running /etc/init.d/sentinel-fwlogs enabled running /etc/init.d/sentinel-minipot enabled running /etc/init.d/sentinel-proxy enabled running /etc/init.d/smartd enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/socat disabled stopped /etc/init.d/sqm enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/srv enabled stopped /etc/init.d/sshd enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/start-indicator enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/sysctl enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/sysfixtime enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/sysfsutils enabled stopped /etc/init.d/syslog-ng enabled running /etc/init.d/sysntpd enabled running /etc/init.d/system enabled stopped /etc/init.d/transmission enabled running /etc/init.d/ucitrack enabled stopped /etc/init.d/umdns enabled running Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/umount enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/updater-journal-recover enabled stopped /etc/init.d/urandom_seed enabled stopped Command failed: Not found /etc/init.d/watchdog_adjust enabled stopped /etc/init.d/wpad enabled running

Multiple reboots have been tried - had no effect.

Anything else to try?

P.S. I guess I should feel lucky WiFi and Network are functioning…

ReForis is behind turris-auth which only requires a password and Foris was removed. I can’t access LuCi or ReForis from WAN, could you post a screenshot of the login screen?

My turris didn’t reboot yet, but I noticed the update after services (e.g. Nextcloud behind Caddy on a NAS) didn’t work anymore from outside, due to certificate problems.
One bigger issue might be that I can access ReForis without having to login? LuCI is not working.

I’ll reboot now and see what happens.

1 Like

The same. Until the system is rebooted it is completely opened to the Internet!!
This was the last nail to the Turris coffin…