Turris OS 3.9.1 is out in RC with a number of fixes

Dear Turris fans,

we just released Turris OS 3.9.1 into the RC branch. It mainly contains fixes and updates:

• coreutils: update to the latest version
  • uci: less sync calls - faster commits
  • hostapd: updated patches from LEDE
  • kernel: update to the latest version, fix LXC error
  • pakon: more robust installation
  • updater: more robust updates and fixes to local repos handling
  • knot-resolver: update to the latest version
  • foris: updated translations and more diagnostics
  • haas-proxy: more robust firewall integration

We hope this fixes some issues from 3.9, please let us know if you run into any trouble.

Happy routing,

Team Turris

2 Likes

Whats about errors with high load with running lxc containers and kernel log entries?

[98425.631182] unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
[98435.700540] unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
[98445.810059] unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
[98456.049069] unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
[98466.168414] unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
[98476.207697] unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
[98486.336972] unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
1 Like

Right now there is one known bug.

In our administration interface ‘Foris’ there isn’t working About tab.

We know about it. It’s fixed, but it will be included in our next RC, which should be released next week (probably Monday or Tuesday)

1 Like

The same as in 3.9. It looks like an old bug https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81211. But in 3.8.6 it looks OK.

I think I have found what causes the “waiting for lo to become free” problem, as well as a problem I have had with vsftpd - it seems to be a commit to the linux kernel that happened for the 4.4.103 release:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?h=linux-4.4.y&id=2417da3f4d6bc4fc6c77f613f0e2264090892aa5

I have reported it to the linux kernel bugzilla here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198189

If you are compiling your own build you can try the patch below - just put it in target/linux/mvebu/patches-4.4/ and recompile the kernel.

4 Likes

Sounds like a great job! Thanks! Let’s see what kernel devs think :slight_smile: But we can probably push it to nightly tomorrow and let it ungo some wider testing :wink:

i just got this router and LXC is basicly not usable for me right now due this bug. i really hope this will fix it.
where can i find nightly builds? i really want to test it once it’s available!
thanks in advance.

You can run “switch-branch nightly” to switch to the nightly builds. However, you will most likely run in to problems while upgrading, or when it’s upgraded as nightly builds are completely untested - so only do it if you are willing to debug the problems yourself :slight_smile:
The schnapps system makes it easy to roll back to previous builds though, so you can always give it a try.

Just upgraded to the latest nightly myself, and I will be running it for a while to see if I can find any problems with the kernel patch (I doubt it though).

Currently there is something else broken in nightly, so wait a little bit before switching.

EDIT: Should be kinda safer now

Hi,

so we just released a small update to the RC, it contains following extra fixes:

• fix about page in Foris
  • haas-proxy: more robust firewall integration

root@turris:~# updater.sh
WARN:Requested package luci-i18n-ddns-en that is missing, ignoring as requested.
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
DIE:
inconsistent: Requested package links that is not available.
Aborted
Working on message: 1513669212-26226
Working on message: 1513683549-29824
Working on message: 1513685805-3365
There is no message to send.
r

Hello,
We just released RC2.

Changelog:

• Foris: fixed About tab
  • Better integration of HaaS into firewall

We’ll appreciate feedback.

Thank you for testing.

@Pepe what is wrong with my updater? I tried DBG level but nothink which would lead me to the proper direction…

Post must be at least 20 characters

is the kernel fix already included in the new rc?

Sorry, but no. Currently it is in nightly, but tomorrow there should be another RC, where will be kernel fix.

1 Like

I suspect that links is your own package or something. If so then remove it, update to rc and reinstall it back (or you can use following hack: Updater failed -- after 3.9 upgrade).

1 Like

no more kernel errors with the newest nightly (so far)
could reboot (the container), stop, start all the time!

with the old (stable 3.9) build i couldn’t even reboot it.

great work!

New RC was deployed now with kernel LXC fix, many thanks to @HomerSp

2 Likes

You are very welcome - glad I could help! :slight_smile: