Turris OS 3.6 out now

What was the tweak? I am curious because my DHCPv6 (for router) still dont work :frowning:

Look at [https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network6] (https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network6), in the section on how to modify /etc/config/dhcp, specifically for interface wan6.

ln -s /etc/cron.d /etc/crontabs

Donā€™t do this. crontabs contain user crontabs, while cron.d contains scripts that are launched at specific periods of the day.

If you do such a symlink, you just cause errors:

2017-03-10T14:33:45+01:00 info /usr/sbin/cron[1066]: (get-api) ORPHAN (no passwd entry)
2017-03-10T14:33:45+01:00 info /usr/sbin/cron[1066]: (majordomo) ORPHAN (no passwd entry)
2017-03-10T14:33:45+01:00 info /usr/sbin/cron[1066]: (schnapps) ORPHAN (no passwd entry)

Because cron will look in /etc/crontabs for crontabs with the name of the user running them and will mistake those as user names.

To solve your issue, just create the crontabs folder under /etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for correction. That link was just a quick fix, when I noticed that cron is not runnig because it cannot find /etc/crontabs.

Yeah I was really annoyed that the old collectd stuff was blown away (again) and Iā€™m having to rebuild all my customizations and fixes I had there before.

The update didnā€™t even move my customizations out of the way. It just overwrite them all.

sigh

I have also the problem with crashed cron. When looking at the snapshots:

last 3 snapshots:

15 | time      | 2017-03-05 01:05:01 +0100 | Snapshot created by cron
16 | pre       | 2017-03-10 12:36:22 +0100 | Automatic pre-update snapshot
17 | pre       | 2017-03-10 12:52:13 +0100 | Automatic pre-update snapshot

The #16 was the 3.6 update and update #17 was when I enabled OpenVPN in Updater tab in Foris

So I compared the snapshots:

root@omnia:/mnt/wdred/backup/omnia-config/etc/crontabs# schnapps cmp 15 16 | grep cron
root@omnia:/mnt/wdred/backup/omnia-config/etc/crontabs# schnapps cmp 16 17 | grep cron
 + /etc/cron.d/autocollect
 ~ /etc/cron.d/updater
 - /etc/crontabs/root
root@omnia:/mnt/wdred/backup/omnia-config/etc/crontabs#

As these are pre-update snapshots the /etc/crontabs was removed by 3.6 update ā€¦ It didnā€™t remove just the root file but also the crontabs folder

After update to Turris OS 3.6 CPU is more overloaded which can be seen on the charts

more charts

What processes takes the CPU? (before and after)

generating dhparam after update
iā€™ll monitor processes

There are some mentions about dh here. Maybe it could solve something, although description is different from your problem (I personally use manually configured OpenVPN, seems to update didnt affect my VPN).

I can confirm all above mentioned problems.
Cron broken, Majordomo broken, no graphs, updates broken, high CPU since the last update.
I havenā€™t even loaded new OpenVPN, just clicked on Generate CA and then removed it.

Disapointed :frowning:

The DH parameter generation can take a while on first run, even more than an hour. It will be over eventually.

Looks like uCollect and Firewall log data is not being sent to CZ.NIC with update 3.6. Dashboard is showing ā€œofflineā€. Can we somehow fix this problem?

1 Like

Since update to 3.6 lighttpd often goes to permanent dropped connection state.
Investigating the logs shows:

2017-03-10 22:34:17: (connections-glue.c.291) connection closed - read failed: Function not implemented 38

once for every connection attempt.

Restarting lighttpd with

/etc/init.d/lighttpd restart

honored with

2017-03-11 07:02:50: (server.c.1295) WARNING: unknown config-key: setenv.set-environment (ignored)

But solves the problem for a while.
Later on it will stuck again and have to be restarted againā€¦

SOLVED
However, it was my mistake. Cron run twice observium polling.php at the same time, hence the increase in CPU usage. This coincided with the update. After disabling everything was back to normal

We are really sorry for all inconveniences. I am investigating everything you reported. We do internal testing, but you must understand that itā€™s not humanly possible to test everything. Thatā€™s why there is rc branch. So you can help us with testing.

On matter of restarted collectd configuration. Unfortunately this was mainstream bug we merged in to our tree. As I looked into luci mainstream it is fixed now, so I hope that this wonā€™t happen again with next major release.

Problems with openvpn should be fixed now. We released fixup yesterday (dhparam 2).

On problem with crontab, I need more time to investigate what happened. But I know about it now.

And for Turris 1.x, for some reason mc failed to build although OpenWRT build passed. We have to investigate this closer, but most probably itā€™s just that OpenWRT build system isnā€™t suited for being distributions build.

9 Likes

yep, same problem ( no Fw data upload ) here. The syslog tells nothing about connecting to the mothership?

Cron problemā€¦ See above in discussion. Simply
mkdir /etc/crontabs/
/etc/init.d/cron restart

2 Likes