Turris Omnia Out of Box Issues Cant do anything

Maybe if you start from scratch:

• 4-led installation with TOS 4.0.5 medkit
  • go through the installation wizard without installing nextcloud, openvpn or any other fancy stuff
  • reboot if/when advised by the wizard
  • wait for the reboot to complete
  • check if Foris / Luci are working and are accessible, if so try changing passwords through either one

Already did all this. A month ago when everyone said to do this the First time, did fresh install, only did tos update… did not install anything. Everything was working.

Then tried to do the most basic thing like download luci vpn app, it worked, vpn worked. Everything worked great for a while.

Then foris stopped working out of nowhere, shooting 500 internal service error.

Then luci wouldnt let me change password out of nowhere. So changed via SSH passwd command and then luci stopped letting me log in with new or old.PW.

So sure, ill do the whole fresh everything AGAIN. Here I thought that I could give syslog info and find out what was going on that way…would seem the reason to have logs.

The problem seems to be related to luci-app-opevpn (this should be the exact name).
This package is maintained by the openwrt project, so you can write on their forum and report alleged errors.

Ill find out if your theory is causation or correlation when I do the step by step reset, update, install, test PW change throughout . Would be premature to conclude that definitely.

That part is difficult to grasp - not saying it cannot happen but that it stops working out of the blue without any action…

See how that turns out - one step at a time. TOS also provides schnapps that allows to rollback to a previous snapshot. If you do not want to start every time from scratch try this workflow:

• got a working setup and tested it stable - create a snapshot
  • change config and test it - if it works satisfactory create the next snapshot
  • add a package and test it - if it works satisfactory create the next snapshot

and so on. Unless something major breaks, like loss of access via ssh (there is still the UART alternative) or the node does not boot you can always rollback to a snapshot that represents a working config and not having to start from scratch every time.
You can even export snapshots of working configurations and utilize such as medkit for the 4-LED recovery.

1 Like

I’m glad you made a reason and decided to try. Also because if you don’t try, you will continue to say that it does not work for you and I will continue to say that it works for me. Sounds like hard and insolent reasoning, but it works.