Turris MOX unresolved issues

Discussion about Turris MOX unresolved issue don’t continue in mentioned stubs, because it’s also general for other still unresolved issues.

Reboot issue is not solved yet, because v4 workaround is working only for few users. Others wait to TOS 6 as the last possbile solution.

Discussion about Turris MOX unresolved issue don’t continue in mentioned stubs, because it’s also general for other still unresolved issues.

MOX SDIO still can´t support multiple SSID and 802.1x and 5 GHz mode are unstable.

Not good news: there is discussion on turris on IRC and in the forums about vendor not supporting SDIO in later kernels. There are reports the SDIO will not work at all with TOS 6.

1 Like

Then what I’ve been saying for years will happen. The SDIO card was selling for over 50€ until recently and the MOX Pocket wi-fi for 135€ is still on sale. I own one and try to use it as an AP, but…

SDIO still in international sale.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/internal-antenna-AzureWave-AW-CM276NF-Bluetooth/dp/B07VLH6W61

Results of current investigation (in cooperation with Turris support)

[+] MOX SDIO works with TOS 6.4.4 (wi-fi interface reset is not enough, clear install works for me)
[+] 802.11n support with 40 MHz (enabling 802.11b or 20 MHz frequency set is not needed)
[+/-] 40 MHz force mode is possbile to turn on, but firmware ignore it
[-] WPA3 is possbile to turn on, but TOS override this settings, card don’t support it
[+/-] Maximal radio strenght is 19 dBm, firmware offers 20 dBm, but don’t support it
[+/-] From original 3 SSID’s is possible to create four, maximal number of clients is eight in total
[+] 802.11r roaming is functional, more tests in production environment needed
[+/-] 802.1x is not functional, historic possibility to active it at expense of other functionalities
[/] This state is valid with last original officially distributed firmware and kernel 5.15
[-] New firmware for this card under NDA supposedly not exist, only for a similar and not work well
[/] I have never used Bluetoot and therefore never tried it
[+] The card is almost no longer sold, but is still available in ready-made MOX combinations
[-] Significant limits and card deficiencies are still not listed for SDIO products in distribution

7 Likes

Thank you for the summary. Very helpful.

1 Like

What is the most cost effective way to get supported Wi-Fi and ability to connect more than 8 devices please? To buy module B (50€) or G (60€) and Wi-Fi (60€) or Wi-Fi 6 (75€) add-on? Is it worth the investment (e.g. will MOX stay supported for another few years)? Is there a catch (why do the preconfigured Power Wi-Fi MOXes have SDIO and Wi-Fi add-ons together)?

I recommend skipping MOX and buying Omnia. If you prefer the MOX for some reason, then avoid the SDIO and choose the option with the B/G module and wi-fi card. However, one card will not cover both bands at the same time.

2 Likes

Thank you, Viktor. I already have MOX (with D and E modules and SDIO Wi-Fi).

On Turris - Add-ons there is written “DBDC” next to Wi-Fi 6 add-on, which IMO means both bands are covered simultaneously (dual band dual concurrent). Is there a catch?

If a card can do both, just buy a B or G module as desired.

No catch. The DBDC card appears as two radio devices in Luci, one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz. You can do whatever you want with them.

1 Like