Turris MOX does not start

My MOX does not start anymore, it seems to be in reboot loop. Tried this MOX - Turris Documentation but it does not work. Please help me recover it, I don’t want to re-flash.

You have to use “revert to the previous snaphot” twice.
The update creates two snapshots … before and after.

How? I already tried this.

This is what happens: Nextcloud

It’s not reachable via IP, WiFi is dead.

Instructions are completely useless, trying that for more than one hour now. Thanks for the broken update, seems I have to re-flash the SD card?

re-created the sd card as described here MOX MicroSD - Turris Documentation

now setting up everything from scratch. great. exactly what I needed today.

Not relevant to Turris OS 6.2.0 anyhow. As you can see clearly from release notes, there is nothing that could cause it. If you want to get help, you should describe more details about your configuration, and what it does and if possible hook up the serial connection or SSH into it to provide more insights into what is going on. In any case, our technical support team is ready to help you.

1 Like

To make you less angry, you’re not the only one. :grinning:
What version did you update from?

Your post sounds the same as posted somehow recently Turris OS 6.0.4 is now released - #6 by vojhom , so it is something related to your setup.

My story:
My mox is dead after each update I performed: 6.0.3 → 6.0.4, 6.0.4 → 6.1.0 (different behavior but still dead). I am already communicating with support ([turris-L1 #1505710]). They ware not able to reproduce it.
I tried 6.1.0 → 6.2.0 and I have same behaviour as on the video from @bamf . Note that, it is update from clean install.

In other words, your post is not related to the release, which we just released, so please avoid miscommunication to avoid spreading false alarms. :slight_smile:

I was just answering @bamf, that he has probably same problem. Or maybe not, but it looks very similar.

I upgraded from 6.1.0 to 6.2.0. Then it went dead.

Sorry, I have calmed down now :slight_smile:

My MOX is running as dumb AP only. Is there anything in my configuration that prevents such updates? Nextcloud

I don’t really dare to install the update on my Omnia now :smiley:

Did you check my diagnostics file and found anything that prevents the update from succeeding?

As I wrote, exactly the same thing was happening to me, MOX bricked after each update. I sent the router back to the turris after the agreement. They confirmed that there is something wrong with the A module, that is all the info they have provided so far.

I recommend writing directly to official support: tech.support@turris.cz

1 Like

Thanks. Support replied and suspected an issue with the bootloader.

Apparently the bootloader gets auto-updated during TOS5 → TOS6 upgrade. I never did this upgrade, as I immediately flashed the SD card as described here here when the Mox arrived.

Started a manual bootloader update now, and it updated secure-firmware, uboot and rescue. So these were out-of-date.

Please add this info to the documentation where the manual SD card setup is described.

I will report back if this fixed the issue when the next update arrives.

PS.: Is there any way to verify correct bootloader version on my Omnia? Found instructions here and it shows:

root@omnia:~# strings /dev/mtd0 | grep "U-Boot 20"
U-Boot 2019.07 for turris_omnia
U-Boot 2019.07 (Oct 05 2020 - 23:50:39 +0000)

Is this the most up-to-date version or do I need to update here too to avoid issues in the future?