TURRIS MOX A housing for TURRIS OMNIA

Hi,

the extensibility of the TURRIS OMNIA is quite limited. A housing physically compatible with TURRIS MOX A would allow to attach TURRIS MOX modules to the TURRIS OMNIA. In my case TURRIS OMNIA is always short of ethernet ports. Attaching the MOX E (Super Ethernet) module to TURRIS OMNIA would solve this.

I can’t speak for the Turris team, but changing future Omnia batches to support this seems rather unlikely to me. It seems more likely that there would be an alternative CPU module for MOX that would be more powerful (CPU + RAM), but I’m personally skeptical about finding sufficient interest to make that financially feasible.

There is no need to change TURRIS OMNIA batches. A TURRIS MOX compatible housing with a Moxtet V1.0 bus adapter PCB would be fine.

Oh, you mean a mini PCIe module (for Omnia) that can be used to attach MOX modules?

@turris-admin
Yes. As the Moxtet V1.0 bus has additional GPIOs and connections additional PCBs will be necessary:

5-pin Turris Omnia power socket -> 12VDC step-down converters -> Moxtet V1.0 bus PCI-E connector
GPIO pins -> Moxtet V1.0 bus PCI-E connector

mPCIE socket 1 -> SATA -> SATA socket
mPCIE socket 1 -> SATA -> Moxtet V1.0 bus PCI-E connector
mPCIE socket 1 -> mPCIe bridge -> Moxtet V1.0 bus PCI-E connector
mPCIE socket 1 -> mPCIe bridge -> SGMII -> Moxtet V1.0 bus PCI-E connector
mPCIE socket 1 -> mPCIe bridge -> mPCIE socket 1.1
mPCIE socket 1 -> mPCIe bridge -> mPCIE socket 1.2

Nothing like that is planned but feel free to invent that. It should be possible.

1 Like

I’m no electrical engineer. Does anyone have the skills for such an extension?