Turris OS 4.0 is released for testing (HBT)

Dear Turris users,

After series of betas, we are releasing for testing a final version of Turris OS 4.0 for Turris Omnia and Turris MOX. If you would like to test this release, you need to use the following command:

switch-branch hbt

If you are using HBS (Stable) branch, you most likely will receive it next week, when we push it further. There will be an announcement on forum as well.

There is just a small change compared to previous beta release - support for multiple drives in storage plugin. Feedback is welcome.

What we are still working on - some MOXes are still not rebooting reliably, but they are not getting stuck reliably either which poses quite some challenges in debugging.

Not all features available in 3.X are ported yet and there is still some work to be done on Turris 1.X and migration. We hope to address those in future releases

6 Likes

Thanks for the update, I am happy to see the progress!

I can provide you for testing 2 MOXes which are failing to boot after every update of the OS.

What’s the status of the switch on the Omnia? Is it still limited to one CPU port? Do vlans work fine?

1 Like

I’m not aware that VLANs shouldn’t be working on Turris OS 4.0. I know that my colleagues are using them and they’re working just fine. Thanks to our kernel developers which did first steps about the multi CPU DSA and it is now used for LAN4 port. Dynamic configuration is not available.

1 Like

There is a difference in configuring the feature between CPU => upstream port (WAN) which works via LuCI (eth2.x on the TO) and CPU => downstream (LAN) ports (0 - 4).

The upstream part is utilized via ip l a l ${interface name} n ${virtual interface}.{name} type vlan id {VID} that basically just enables (and in reverse disables) 802.1q with tag state only.

It is not suitable for advanced VLAN tagging CPU => downstream however - see limitations as mentioned in https://www.linux.org/docs/man8/ip-link.html.
Advanced VLAN tagging of downstream ports requires VLAN filtering with bridge (from iproute2) and currently LuCI does not provide an interface for it nor is it properly documented for OpenWrt or TOS.

Is there documentation detailing what is coming up in terms of new features or improvements ?

1 Like

So there is a chance that HDD disks connected by the mini-pcie controller (asm1062) will be visible in Turis OS 4.0?

1 Like

I don’t have any such problem with 4.0.

Output from shell
BusyBox v1.28.4 () built-in shell (ash)

______                _         ____  _____
     /_  __/_  ____________(_)____   / __ \/ ___/
      / / / / / / ___/ ___/ / ___/  / / / /\__ 
     / / / /_/ / /  / /  / (__  )  / /_/ /___/ / 
    /_/  \__,_/_/  /_/  /_/____/   \____//____/  

-----------------------------------------------------
 TurrisOS 4.0, Turris Omnia
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@turris-home:~$ lsblk
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda            8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk /data
sdb            8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
mtdblock0     31:0    0     1M  0 disk 
mtdblock1     31:1    0     7M  0 disk 
mmcblk0      179:0    0   7.3G  0 disk 
└─mmcblk0p1  179:1    0   7.3G  0 part /
mmcblk0boot0 179:8    0     4M  1 disk 
mmcblk0boot1 179:16   0     4M  1 disk 
mmcblk0rpmb  179:24   0     4M  0 disk 
root@turris-home:~$ lspci
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 6820 (rev 04)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 6820 (rev 04)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 6820 (rev 04)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
02:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA986x/988x 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
root@turris-home:~$ 

is this the right file for Omnia 4led reset? https://repo.turris.cz/hbt/medkit/omnia-medkit-latest.tar.gz

Yes, that’s the correct file for HBT branch, but when you pass guide, you need to switch to HBT in CLI by command switch-branch hbt.

We are releasing a new version to HBT branch.

Changelog:

The support for multiple drives in storage plugin, does it also mean raid support or not ?

How can I activate the storage plugin on my Turris MOX?
Is this functionallity in user lists?

1 Like

Hi!

reading this, it seems, that HBT is the same as RC. I am on RC with vers 3.11.7, but no 4.0 updates are available. If they are not the same, what is the difference? If they are the same, why I dont have the 4.0?
Is it 4.0 already safe to use? What are the known bugs?

Hi,

I would like to stay on 3.x until I reset my turris omnia and start from 0.
I will reset it before xmas. So do I have to do anything to stay on 3.x release? Dont want to be upraded to 4.x automatically. I will flash 4.x manually when I reset my router.

Thx for your effort to bring 4.x to this sweet device :+1:

Turn off auto updates and review release information in the forum prior undertaking a manual update, in case TOS4.x gets released (with auto merge/migration from TOS3.x) prior your target date.

3.x and 4.x are in different build chains (work flows).

We released another version of Turris OS 4.0 into the HBT branch.

Changelog:

• zmq: fix CVE-2019-13132
  • kernel: Update to version 4.14.146
    Fixed CVEs: CVE-2019-1481{4,5,6}, CVE-2019-14821

If you find any issues regarding this release, please let us know.

1 Like

Do you have any estimates when 4.0 will be released to stable?

Thanks for your question. Within a few days.

1 Like