To upgrade or not to upgrade

Hi,

I see that there is an upgrade possibility in the Upgrade section. But it says that it is highly experimental.

Now I do not have the time to fiddle with setting up networks and all the other stuff currently.

So, my question is: Is it safe to use the automagic upgrader?

Current installation:
Turris OS version 3.11.23
Kernel version 4.4.199-a890a5a94ebb621f8f1720c24d12fef1-1

|<

hey,

I’d understand “highly experimental” that it’s exactly for someone who HAS the time to experiment.
So NO, you should wait for stable release.

EDIT: ok, this is about TOS3→5. See my response below.

2 Likes

The basis of using the Omnia router … is automatic system updates. If you’re frozen (unknown reason) on the archaic version, you can try the automatic update and maybe worry about finding solutions to possible problems. Much easier, I think, is a clean installation of the current medkit of the latest TOS 5.x.x and configuration settings as needed

I think this is a good idea.

Any idea of when a stable release might be available?

|<

Currently I’m not stuck, but for a number of different reasons I always want to keep my software up to date.

A fresh installation requires me to set of a day or so, which I do not have in nearby future.

|<

Any idea of when a stable release might be available?

So to be clear, we’re talking about migration procedure between pretty old TOS 3 to contemporary turris OS 5. Let me correct my statement above - I was first unsure what kind of upgrade do you mean.

I personally do not expect significant effort is going to be spent to improve migration scripts - so I think wait for some rainy afternoon, and after full backup of your device performing the fresh install of current release could be the RightWay™.

Or, you can check the status of the migration procedure here, Migration from 3.x to 5.x (#344) · Issues · Turris / Turris OS / Turris OS packages · GitLab, compare missing features with your personal setup, and decide yourself if you’d like to make a try, (or even better, try to improve the scripts! :green_heart: )

Personally I went with the fresh install. as from my experience, to deploy the proper config is often faster than trying to fix system being in broken or undefined state.

2 Likes

Docu text about …Omnia - Turris Documentation

Download … https://repo.turris.cz/hbs/medkit/omnia-medkit-latest.tar.gz

Jose, thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe I’ll go for the fresh install, as you recommend. But that have to wait a little because my schedule is rather tight these days.

|<

2 Likes