To upgrade or not to upgrade


I see that there is an upgrade possibility in the Upgrade section. But it says that it is highly experimental.

Now I do not have the time to fiddle with setting up networks and all the other stuff currently.

So, my question is: Is it safe to use the automagic upgrader?

Current installation:
Turris OS version 3.11.23
Kernel version 4.4.199-a890a5a94ebb621f8f1720c24d12fef1-1



I’d understand “highly experimental” that it’s exactly for someone who HAS the time to experiment.
So NO, you should wait for stable release.

EDIT: ok, this is about TOS3→5. See my response below.


The basis of using the Omnia router … is automatic system updates. If you’re frozen (unknown reason) on the archaic version, you can try the automatic update and maybe worry about finding solutions to possible problems. Much easier, I think, is a clean installation of the current medkit of the latest TOS 5.x.x and configuration settings as needed

I think this is a good idea.

Any idea of when a stable release might be available?


Currently I’m not stuck, but for a number of different reasons I always want to keep my software up to date.

A fresh installation requires me to set of a day or so, which I do not have in nearby future.


Any idea of when a stable release might be available?

So to be clear, we’re talking about migration procedure between pretty old TOS 3 to contemporary turris OS 5. Let me correct my statement above - I was first unsure what kind of upgrade do you mean.

I personally do not expect significant effort is going to be spent to improve migration scripts - so I think wait for some rainy afternoon, and after full backup of your device performing the fresh install of current release could be the RightWay™.

Or, you can check the status of the migration procedure here, Migration from 3.x to 5.x (#344) · Issues · Turris / Turris OS / Turris OS packages · GitLab, compare missing features with your personal setup, and decide yourself if you’d like to make a try, (or even better, try to improve the scripts! :green_heart: )

Personally I went with the fresh install. as from my experience, to deploy the proper config is often faster than trying to fix system being in broken or undefined state.


Docu text about …Omnia - Turris Documentation

Download …

Jose, thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe I’ll go for the fresh install, as you recommend. But that have to wait a little because my schedule is rather tight these days.