Tips for educational videos

This topic is dedicated to collecting ideas for video tutorials we are going to prepare for Omnia. You can use it to suggest topics of interest for you.

1 Like

you might as well consider using https://inlinemanual.com/ in the configuration tool

It would be helpful to see how to setup some parental control (blocked adresses, content …)

• Optimising OpenVPN for site-to-site and site-to-“service” (something like PIA) connections (MTU, handshake, compression, cipher, etc.) to take full advantage of the CESA
  • Assigning VLANs to different OpenVPN gateways (forwarding, preventing DNS leaks, etc.)
  • Monitoring and debugging the bootloader
  • Installing ownCloud in the VM
  • Creating a guest Wifi network with a captive portal
  • How to completely disable IPv6 via the cli. (Might be easier to offer separate builds actually)
  • How to build a custom firmware for the Omnia (which kernel modules could be included, recommended apps for power users, etc.)
  • Security tips (basic firewall rules, disabling IPsec, launching the GUI on demand only, setting up port based vlans, etc.)
3 Likes
  • Using QoS and traffic shaping to keep some bandwidth available for all clients
  • How to flash, then colour the lights based on the highest level of threat intercepted by Snort
1 Like

It would be useful to create video manual how to configure NAS server (with disc connected via USB or mSATA; formated FAT, NTFS, ext3,ext4,…; sharing with using different user rights,…) and especially detailed settings DLNA server (possibility location cache on different location - RAM disc; usage playlists,…)

2 Likes

Hardware service and maintenance guides

Create a Guest WIFI Network (which cannot access the LAN). Ideally, make the creation of a Guest WIFI Network a 1-click operation in FORIS so that no video tutorial is required!

1 Like

+1 for NAS extension
+1 for Guest WIFI captive portal

1 Like

-1 for any Captive portal. Don’t promote any such broken-by-design technology.

1 Like

I agree with Ondrej!

+1 for more advanced OpenVPN
+1 for installing different applications using the VM (ownCloud, TOR, …)

Max

2 Likes

Enabling Bufferbloat Control!

Bufferbloat is the undesirable latency that comes from a router or other network equipment buffering too much data. OpenWrt default builds have Smart Queue Management (SQM) using the fq_codel algorithm to completely address the problem. (Even when fully loading my link with up- and download traffic, additional latency is only 20-25 msec. Thanks to SQM, I have no lag in gaming, no dropouts with Skype and other VoIP, no draggy response when browsing.)

I wrote the HOWTO for OpenWrt at: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm, the Youtube video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvYhifdQ92Q, and would be happy to help with the script.

1 Like
  • nas extension
  • installing ad blocking software
  • installing and configuration of openvpn
  • installing and configuration of snort
  • using the hardware extensions (LTE or any orther pcie card)
  • basic configuration
  • configuration and use of vlan’s

USB LTE modem setup for failover connection…

1 Like

Hi,
I recently bought a Mikrotik router which is a fine piece of hardware and software, nevertheless it is not open source and the documentation targets rather advanced geeks.
I consider myself an average GNU Linux user, not aware of all the routing – firewall etc. technologies so I struggle to configure this Mikrotik router. It took me some weeks to realize that the http service (and others also) of my router was available from the internet!!! which was a security hole.
I would need at least a starting/basic secure configuration documentation and video.
From my experience, I would be grateful if there was also documentation and/or video explaining each available technology on Omnia and where/how it would benefit the user.
For my personal use case, I would also appreciate documentation and/or video for:
• LTE configuration for always on connection, fallback connection, on sms connection
• Secure vpn bidirectional site to site (and also client to server) configuration
• Traffic prioritization/queue (at least on port level)
• Own (LAN) DNS configuration with auto (renewable) ad, malicious etc site blocking

One thing that worries me is that videos which go into detail don’t age well. As soon as the next milestone is released, some of them will be inaccurate and so on.
So, conceptual videos with diagrams might work better and stellar documentation with screenshots which can be easily updated.

3 Likes

Any guide about Omnia specific hardware/software would be great:

• custom Uboot
  • de bricking
  • how to use the omnia pin header and LEDs
  • TurrisOS interface

There are already a lot of videos for Open-WRT and LuCI already.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=luci+openwrt+site:youtube.com&tbm=vid

Videos about a secure way of accessing our files/webserver/smart home/webcams/iot/… from outside (WAN). What packages to use, how to configure network access and rights. DMZ? NAS? ownCloud? direct or in VM? VPN?

NAS - private and public directories, quotas, read only areas, automatic backup of defined directories/device(s) after connection or time since the last backup

-1 for captive portal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe a guide to install PXE server with multiple different OSes would be great. I mean, on an SSD or USB harddrive could be a significant number of live distros or just a regular OS image for a small company.

Also more general educational videos about networking and how it all works would be great. Maybe you could connect with khanacademy.org or engage with people like Michael W. Lucas who are skilled in getting the point across in a video, presentation or a book. Also the CS50 students of Harvard made some great videos on youtube on how stuff works. Maybe a similar spirit could be the way to go for general videos.

Great explanatory tutorials are also great, if they are supported by text/ documentation. Actually, just making the OpenWRT wiki a lot better in documentation would be just as great as those videos. You could even link to those videos from the wiki.

2 Likes

Virtual server setup (LXC stuff):

• How to build your own (Debian!) templates!
  • How to (ex)port your virtual server (container) to (non ARM) systems!
  • How to make the containers run unprivileged!
  • How to distribute your templates.
  • How to run your container from an external HD.

I hope I am still on time! Oh and +1 on the:

• NAS instructions
  • vLAN / separated guest WiFi instructions!