Testing YAMon v3.4.0

It looks like YAMon 3.4 is finally ready for some testing other than on my routers. I’ve checked things out on the following:

• my Turris Omnia
  • a TPLINK Archer C9 running DD-WRT
  • an Asus RT-AC56U running LEDE
    I found and fixed issues on each platform.

NB - v3.4.0 is not yet available at http://usage-monitoring.com

Presupposing that you already have YAMon3.3.x installed to upgrade to v3.4.0, you must run open a PuTTY or equivalent window and run

/opt/install.sh dev
(note the dev at the end… without that you will re-install v3.3.6)
If you do not already have YAMon installed, first go to http://usage-monitoring.com/download.php and then start again at the top of this message.

In the prompt that asks where you want to install, I suggest that you DO NOT pick the default path. There might be issues which affect results so I recommend that you install in /opt/YAMon3.4/ rather than /opt/YAMon3/… this way you can run v3.3.6 & v3.4.0 concurrently (to compare results) and you will not clobber your data files.

One of the first things that you’ll notice in the setup portion of the script, I have added basic and advanced modes for the configuration portion… pick basic if you have a relatively standard router configuration. Pick advanced if you have a bridge on your network.

NB - I’ve been running this version on my routers for sometime now but I expect there will still be some issues… please provide as much info as possible if/when something comes up. Screenshots and log files will be particularly helpful.

If you do have errors, if you set _log2file=‘2’ and _scrlevel=‘2’ in your config.file, this’ll help track down where they are occurring in the script. You might want to set _scrlevel=‘1’ to narrow things down further.

One day I’ll summarize the changes in another posting but want to get things out for testing.

One of the big new features is better support (hopefully) for bridged devices (however, this is one of those NB areas I mentioned above)

Thanks in advance for your assistance and feedback

Al

1 Like

I have successfully installed v3.4.0 on my Omnia, I have not run into any issues. Great job!

John - belated thanks!

I’ve just updated the files at http://usage-monitoring.com to v3.4.4

You can upgrade by re-running /opt/install.sh

Al

I have installed v3.4.4, I’m getting the below error:

*** yamon3.4.4.sh has been started

To stop the script:

• run shutdown.sh [RECOMMENDED]
    e.g., shutdown.sh
  • or delete the /tmp/YAMon3.4-running directory
    e.g., rmdir /tmp/YAMon3.4-running
    sed: unmatched '~'
    sed: unmatched ‘~’

John - Please edit your config.file and set _log2file=2 and _loglevel=0 and _scrlevel=1…

and then run /opt/YAMon3/restart.sh

_log2file=2 will send the logging messages to the screen as well as the log file
take a screenshot once you see the sed messages
send the screenshot and your log file to questions@usage-monitoring.com

It looks like your system does not like one of my regular expressions… hard to tell which one without the log info.

Al

Al,

All is good now, I redownloaded your script and reinstalled it, v3.4.4 is up and running with no issues.

Hi Al,

Just did a fresh install on my new omnia 15.05 r47055. I previously used YAMon on my Netgear R7000. It took me a little while to figure out how to install YAMon on this router as I could not locate an /opt directory. My solution was the following:

Used WinSCP to create the /opt directory off of the main what I would call the root directory
from there I used WinSCP to copy the install.sh file from my computer which I downloaded from the link you provide at the beginning of this thread. Once copied, I used a terminal window to run the install.sh

Worked perfectly. Used the basic setup.

Thanks again for the great tool.

Todd

Glad you like it! Please send feedback as you get more familiar with things.

for future users, here’s what I did to mount opt

1. In the Turris Omnia admin UI, click Advanced Administration
  2. click the LuCI web interface link (and log-in again)
  3. under the System menu, choose Mount Points
  4. scroll down to Mount points
  5. click Add
  6. I selected the UUID for my USB drive and then set the mount point to /opt (don’t forget to click enable this mount!!!)
  7. clicked all of the saves, etc. to back out and then rebooted my router
  8. et voila, there it was!

Let me know if I’ve missed anything.

Al