SATA HDD issues

My small issues with IronWolf Segate 3TB twins …

I faced similar issue with I/O Error on one drive. I bought two identical drives, connect as used to. First ‘partitioning’ passed okey. Creating filesystems failed on sdb (during ioctl ending operation). So i check fdisk/cfdisk/sfdisk/partx to see what’s wrong. Nothing suspicious. I connect drives to Windows and check the disk. First correctly GPT with my wanted Ext3. Second one shows as MBR disk with preformated ntfs.
Reformating both on windows and plug to Turris. First drive okey, second drive got I/O error.
Clearing all again and doing one disk by one on first channel. No luck. Second drive always has issues, no matter which tool i used. Several “dd” (clearing 0, clearing 0+1, clearing(urandom, 1:1 sda2sdb cloning. Hm, i even reasemble the router (re-plug all stuff, including pci sata card). Later on that disk start complaining about sector 0, sector 2048, 4096 … something with offset or/and zero found. So what the hell, i run the hdparm tool based on info i have from first drive. That went really okey, for like 12hours waiting. After that disk was fine and i can make it running with 3x1T Ext(3) partitions. While not using it, it disconnect for several times. So i have to reconnect to windows box for check. Seatools/DiskWizard/Gparted and so on. In the end, disk refuse any GPT , so only MBR was possible. So i ende in situation 2T partition on 3T disk. Put it back, run cfdisk (change all to GPT + 2x 1,5T NTFS).
Finally working set. Ready to mount and use.
Two days under ‘load/testing’. SDB2 partition got sickness. Again , new check and voila, ‘bad-disk’ or/and ‘read-only’.
Found out that wonderful --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing flag for hdparm and make security enhanced erase/factory reset. Over night and few hours disk looks fine. Just to not repeat all again, quickly 3x 1T NTFS . For like 10h it was okey, but then disconnect and since then i can’t do any ‘write’ operation after 4096 sector or at the end of the disk (anything between was ok).
Bricked drive, doh …meh …mffffp…
(i can erase 0-4095 sectors, i can ‘repair partition’ (but i can’t write that repair back), LLF tool is failing as well. ‘dd’/‘shred’/‘scrum’ got always i/o error …). also i can play within DCO area a bit (read, clear security/set security … but issuing again security-erase/security-enhanced-erase command fails on IO error …

After few days playing, drive was sent back for replacement. Obviously defected drive.
That learn me a leson, that force me to read bunch of man pages and from those ‘disk’ tools.
Be hacker sfdisk is really useful.

Btw: on the other hand, windows internal ‘diskpart.exe’ under admin in cmd.exe is also very helpful tool (why the hell i was using some 3rd party tools before … PartitionMagic and such …)

Cheers mates.
-vh-