Samba4 + Windows 10 + TurrisOS 5.1.4

I upgraded my Turris Omnia to TurrisOS 5.1.4 from 3.11.x yesterday. Honestly, a poor experience I must say. Most of the services are broken after upgrade. Anyway…

I lost my samba functionality after upgrade. Does anybody how get samba working on configuration Win10 + TO running TurrisOS 5.1.4? Maybe @Maxmilian_Picmaus will now more? Do you have any experience on this configuration?

Did you restart the samba service ?

1. with SSH execute commands:
    /etc/init.d/samba4 enable
    /etc/init.d/samba4 start
    or
    /etc/init.d/samba4 restart

It works! Thx!

Hmm… It is possible that it was that simple? :thinking:
I restarted my TO several times because of other issues.

I see my folder but it uses some other settings (was as NAS\nas\myfolder, now is as TURRIS\nas\myfolder) but who cares about details, right? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Now, I just have to figure out how fix LXC environment, NetMetr, poor WiFi performance and I will be good to go.

The TO5 upgrade changes the hostname to “Turris”. I missed this as well when I switched from TO3.X to TO5.X. For better WiFi performance I replaced the default cards with MikroTik R11e-5HacT and MikroTik R11e-2HPnD.

Thx for recommendation! What type of issues did you had with WiFi? Any special configuration is needed for these cards or it is literally just about replacing those cards which are there?

Some TOS 5.x users had issues with samba version(s) resp dialect(s) used on server or/and client side. But seems it is not your case :slight_smile: Personally i am still with TOS 3.x branche , so samba is still the older one. If i will do the migration i will update my “notes” …

Well @Maxmilian_Picmaus I must say that upgrade is a really painful process, probably not worth the fuzz around. I’m really disappointed about how CZ.NIC handled the process. :roll_eyes:

Could you please what are those services were broken after using opt-in migration?
I see that you have just two issues here. Netmetr is not working for you right now as there are some issues with the server-side, but it should be fixed soon. And regarding samba, you can not change hostname after opt-in migration? That’s could be done automatically, but… let’s go to another part.

I am not sure what would you like to say with your comment. While I’m looking at the Updater tab in Turris OS 3.x series, there is a package list for opt-in migration, which is for advanced users, but that’s not all. There is said that it is HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL and before enabling it that you should read https://docs.turris.cz/geek/tos3_migration/ very carefully before doing that.

We migrated config from samba3 to samba4 but that’s not all, we migrated other services and related configs to have the router running and you can reach the Internet! I am sorry that samba is not working for you as it has a label community. I think this is all a big step as we prepared such a process, so you wouldn’t need to use reflash, but yeah, these posts don’t motivate us and those are not useful actually. We are people and people does mistakes, so we handled it badly and we are bad guys. :slight_smile: We are still seeking for new colleagues. You can help us to report issues like is described in our documentation or you can send us a pull request.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Optional migration from Turris OS 3.x for advanced users

Initially, with the pre-installed wifi cards, my main problem was the signal strength and therefore the coverage at my house. (I tried many different routers and it was never satisfying.) With the TO pre-installed cards the situation did not improve. But since I upgraded to the above mentioned cards (with 5 dedicated new antennas too) I have great coverage, performance and since years no stability issues. (Also, based upon where you are living (country and environement), these cards allow to set-up output power above the 100mW.) I don’t remember changing anything but just to make sure, attached my installed “ath*” drivers and as example a general set-up.

1 Like

@Tom :+1:t6::heart:

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know. :wink:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Discussions about state of optional migration from Turris 3.x for advanced users