Router/switch bandwidth restrictions in PPPOE


#1

Connecting directly to my VDSL2 modem I reach a 60/15 Mpbs download/upload speed. Same when connecting to the modem through a TP-Link switch.

But connecting through Turris Omnia in PPPOE (modem in bridge mode) systematically brings this speed down to 17/7 Mpbs, with no other devices connected on the network.

The problem seemed similar at first to this Help with Omnia bandwidth limiting? but I had no luck with the proposed solutions. Deactivating SQM QoS (cake) and Pakon monitoring did not improve the speed.

So I tried connecting to the modem in DHCP mode and it immediately restored the bandwitdh to 60/15 Mpbs. But it also increases the lag by 8 seconds…

Any idea what parameters to play on in PPPOE to reach the same speed as the naked modem? Thanks for your thoughts!


#2

hello, increased lag with the change to dhcp could be dns-related, maybe you could check your dns settings - possible to check directly in foris under dns, and also wan
cheers


#3

Indeed, it seems that a combination of deactivating DNS forwarding and rebooting did the job while still in PPPoE connection. I don’t know how, but thanks!

FYI, I tried to reactivate DNS forwarding afterwards (alternatively to Quad9, NIC.cz, OpenDNS), the speed remains correct but Internet connectivity seems a bit erratic.


#4

congratulations!
this may well be the most far fetched fallout from introducing a dns-middleware.
thx for bringing it up


#5

I did not notice any PPPoE bandwidth issue with my Turris Omnia. (by default it uses the kernel-mode RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8p)

My ISP optical fiber (GPON) commercial speed is 100 Mbit/s Down and I measure 97 - 99 Mbit/s TCP speed on large HTTP download.