Pakon High Utilisation of CPU Despite Being Removed

Hi,
I noticed recently high CPU utilisation by the Pakon process. I removed the Pakon package from the Foris Updater list and rebooted but after a while the process seems to start again even though it is not installed.
Also according to the Android app CPU utilisation is 100% but according to the top command it is not this much.
Anyone any ideas, is this normal behaviour?

Thanks

Here’s a screenshot of the Android App and also from Luci.

The Luci graph isn’t very clear to me. Looking at the chart it seems that usage is high but down the left hand side it’s only indicating that the values are 1.xx which makes me think it’s only between 1% and 2%. If someone could explain how to correctly interpret this I’d be grateful. Also If I compare all of this with the Processes List and tally up the figures it equals that of what the top command suggests which is about 50-60% utilisation.

100% in top means: all processors
omnia has two, so 53% is one core fully loaded and some.

on the other hand, the “load” value is 1 if one core is fully loaded (2 if two cores fully loaded and so forth)

the load you have is concering and idk why the android app says 100% load…

Nitpick: “load” on Linux isn’t just about CPUs – it also includes waiting on I/O (at least for disks, maybe some other kinds as well), so it may get much higher than the “number of cores”.

point taken
yet i have not encountered a case where load>1 and small cpu load.

any advice on how op can get pakon under control?

With rotating drives the situation is very easy to trigger. That may apply to Omnia as well, if you attach these and e.g. have a NAS-like use case.

EDIT: I’m afraid I know too little about pakon in particular.

Well, >50% can mean one CPU is fully pegged, but both running at 50% each will also result a sum of 50%. The normal top binary in Linux will, after pressing “1” reveal the statistics for the individual CPUs in addition to the compound number. htop will do as well, just not at the desired level of detail.

Thanks for all the explanations, very helpful. :slight_smile:
However does anyone know how I can fully remove pakon and resolve my problem?

Thanks.

As a work around until I find the way to fully remove pakon I have set a scheduled task to run every 5 minutes.

kill $(ps | grep “/usr/bin/python3 /usr/libexec/pakon” | awk ‘{print $1}’)

Not ideal but better than having the cpu thrashed all the time.