Operating temperature

I walked through their measurement and assume a shift temperatures about 20 degrees up compared to sensors on board
I buy only board. complete with Turris cools not only cooler but also case

Based on your post, the sensor showed 59°C, while an external thermometer showed 42°C. Can someone else confirm this?

Just received my Turris Omnia today and mine also has “high” temperatures:
`# thermometer
CPU: 68

sensors

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +68.5°C
`
I say “high” because the cpu is a passively cooled dualcore chip running at 1,6 GHz.
When comparing the temps to a similar product (same chipset, same clock speed), the Linksys WRT1900ACS, they seem to be in line according to posts by users of the WRT (source 1, source 2, more can be found by Google-ing). Thus, they appear to be normal temps and our hardware should be able to handle it. However, it would be nice if the Turris Omnia team could enlighten us on this issue.

So if you are worried about those temps, there are a few things you could do:
-Add a better heat sink
-Add a usb fan
-Replace the heat sink with a fan
-Replace the router with a cooler running model router

When I have the time, I’ll probably go for option 3 :wink:

2 Likes

High? 77°C is nothing. This in not desktop, these ARM CPUs for routers can usually go up to 120-130°C. Better look up the specs.

Unlike the measurement temperature sensor was 70 vs 43 photos emerged during editing about 12 hours

src please. what specs are you referring to?

Specs for the Marvel ARMADA SoC.

ARMADA 38x SoC maximum die temperature must be below 115°C in both Commercial and Industrial grades.

100°C is pretty normal temperature.

In Turris 1 is Freescale PPC 1.2GHz.

temperature range of -40 °C to +125 °C

thx! i guess you got this from the specs of the clearfog board? i’m still unable to find any “official” data from marvell, but that’s good enough :wink:

I found it on several places mentioned. But yes, I am unable to locate it in 1432 pages manual.

There is another manual called Hardware Specifications but it seems this is only available under NDA.

The MV78260 Hardware Specifications give the following data:
Absolute Maximum ratings:
Storage temperature and Case temperature -40 to 125 °C
Recommended Operating Conditions:
Junction Temperature 0 to 105 °C
The section Thermal power dissipation even gives this:
The device was characterized and tested for production at 105°C. The other data points are for reference purposes only.

So 100 degrees seem just fine for these SoC.

Edit: If someone gets the 88F6820 Hardware Specifications i would like to get a glance at these as it has the MPP pin mux settings and map. The one in the kernel is incomplete and i am search for AU_SPDIFO. It could be on GPIO 44 or 47.

1 Like

root@turris:~# sensors
armada_thermal-virtual-0
temp1: +70.4°C

root@turris:~# stress -c 2 -t 3m
stress: info: [14365] dispatching hogs: 2 cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0 hdd
stress: info: [14365] successful run completed in 180s
armada_thermal-virtual-0
temp1: +76.1°C

For those dealing with temperature.
NAS box (with installed fan) temperature on idle around 70°C. I.e. the same cooling performance of a NAS box with fan and Omnia in original case with just a passive cooling

Notes:

1 Like

My design heatsink for board only:

In my board in idle is:

armada_thermal-virtual-0
temp1: +86.1°C

1 Like

Looking good! Did you test your design? And, if so, what are your findings?

A few updates later the temperature of my unit is:

root@turris:~# thermometer
CPU: 66

armada_thermal-virtual-0
temp1: +66.5°C

Looks pretty good to me, but I don’t really stress my router. No LXC containers and such :wink:

the cooler looks good.

i have changed the thermal pad to arctic cooling pads (ref actpd00005A) wich lowered 10ºC (Before was 72 and now im getting 61) and the case now its more warmer than before.

the next test its change thermal pad to artic ceramique and see how much lowers the temp.

you mean th one on top of the processor cooler? but mine is actually 2mm thick and quick googling says actpd00005A is 0,5mm?

i have changed the lower pad the sticky pad (in the processor). the original 2mm thick its on the top of the aluminium block , ther arctic pad its 1mm thickness

I changed the arctic pad with artic ceramique and now it getting 59ºc in the CPU…
all temperatures in idle

Im keeping testing it now im going to test 15min with stress app

after test (15min stress ) the max temp archieved it 83ºC with arctic ceramique

where do you get the stress app? does not seem to be in available
opkg list | grep stress

also on Raspberry the CPU gets the hottest using memtester, probably because RAM is in the same case as CPU (not the case for Omnia)

opkg does not know about memtester either

make a opkg update first