Operating temperature

I suppose it has the same dimensions as in T1 - 20x30x30 mm

1 Like

My Omnie temperature without internal HW adjustment in a no-load state is 68 degrees Celsius. The room is 22 degrees.

root@Omnia:~# thermometer
CPU:    68
root@Omnia:~#

After 5 minut stress is thermomether 78 degres. The only modification is the location of the case.

Right now my Omnia shows 69°C on idle, without any modification at all, outside temperature most likely very close to yours.

Hi,
I would like to just share my CPU heatsink modification. The target was to stay with passive cooling as I don’t like fan noise and dust.
Temperature after modification is:

IDLE temperature is 56°C

after 20 minutes of CPU stress I reached max. 72°C

One more update :grinning:

2 Likes

Although running at 70C-80C seems to be perfectly legit according to the Armada 38x specs as the chip’s operating temperature is up to 105C, I’ve tried to apply the solution recommended by @backon earlier in this thread just to see the effect.

I used the ARCTIC Thermal pad (1.5mm), few notes below:

• Removing the cube was really easy as the original thermal tape didn’t hold it too strong, it was just sufficient to push the cube gently sideways. The tape remained completely attached to the cube, which made it’s removal with a screwdriver and alcohol really simple.

• Then, I’ve cut two 20x20x1.5mm squares from the Arctic pad and applied one to the bottom and the other to the top of the aluminium cube.

• Finally, I’ve attached the cover back and made sure it sticks to the pad by pressing on the cover in the place where the cooling cube touches the cover.

• The whole thing was done in a few minutes.

The results are surprisingly good, my Omnia’s temp dropped from the usual 74C to 66C.

This is 8C (~10%) improvement just by applying the pad worth a few dollars. Neat!

4 Likes

I applied the modification described by TomasKapin and Bacon. At home there was about 26°C at the time of change. Before the change Omnia was operating in about 78°C when idle. After setting Arctic Thermal pad (1.5mm) on the top and bottom of aluminium it was about 69°C when idle and increased up to 80°C after 40minutes of stress test.

I picked up the newer revision of the OPOLAR laptop fan (with the temp display) recommended by @hdBerretz (thanks!) for my Omnia and it works like a charm. With the fan at 2/3 speed, it lowers the idle temp by around 11C - air and CPU (with pakon running).

The ambient temp in my flat is around 26C. At idle, the air temp reported by the fan is around 28C; the CPU temp is around 58C.

Regarding acceptable operational temperatures, I realize the CPU can handle rather high temperatures without issue, but I’m concerned for the mSATA SSD, which sits right next to the CPU, and is more sensitive to heat.

I have no idea what the temps are like inside the case under load, but I feel like a CPU running at 100C for any length of time could make the SSD dangerously hot, particularly if the SSD is also under load.

It’s a shame they didn’t put more effort in the cooling solution.
They just put a brick of aluminum on top of the proc. which is only held in place by the cover and some tim. I wonder if this solutions holds when the TO is operated in a vertical way.
If only there were mounting holes to mount a more efficient/elegant cooling solution.

On a side note: it’s gets the job done. Other comparable devices have equally bad cooling solutions or a complete lack thereof.

It does, no issues there.

CPU heat sinks (passive) are likely the common place for SoC nodes, the only other way would be active cooling with fans and that would probably not fit the case.

It should be possible to query that info with smartctl -x

e.g. on this node `smartctl -x /dev/sda | grep Temp` prints

190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel -O–CK 056 021 000 - 44
Current Temperature: 44 Celsius
Power Cycle Min/Max Temperature: 37/45 Celsius
Lifetime Min/Max Temperature: 29/79 Celsius
Specified Max Operating Temperature: 55 Celsius
Under/Over Temperature Limit Count: 0/0
SCT Temperature History Version: 2
Temperature Sampling Period: 1 minute
Temperature Logging Interval: 10 minutes
Min/Max recommended Temperature: 0/70 Celsius
Min/Max Temperature Limit: 0/70 Celsius
Temperature History Size (Index): 128 (124)
Index Estimated Time Temperature Celsius
0x05 ===== = = === == Temperature Statistics (rev 1) ==
0x05 0x008 1 44 — Current Temperature
0x05 0x020 1 79 — Highest Temperature
0x05 0x028 1 29 — Lowest Temperature
0x05 0x058 1 55 — Specified Maximum Operating Temperature

It would seem that the Specified Maximum Operating Temperature had been exceeded indeed but it does not reveal when and over which period of time…

Unfortunately apps like hddtemp or nvme-cli are not available on OpenWrt | TOS.

2 Likes

I have just applied this. I have quite recently hit 118 degrees celsius in big load. During some networking error.

Now I have 60 to 70 idle and 85 during max stress. That is great improvement.

Hmm… last week the temperature went nearly to 120 C. Looking at your cooling tweaks… should I be concerned?

Anyway I decided to take the step anyway. Being unable to remove the block from the board I only applied the pads to its top. Here’s from a preparation:

I had the case opened several times, completely forgot there was a thermal compound in the past :astonished:

And now after fixing it:

Pretty much right after this the temperature went down by approx. 10 degrees C. And also in the long run:

So yeah… I very much recommend this to anyone experiencing temperatures of 90 C and above.

Room temperature 23 °C. According to the instructions @bacon installed today --> 72 > 65 °C
DAY

HOUR

HOUR first stress — 85-87 °C

Hey @Karel8,

How did you attache the copper block to the CPU? Did you just use thermal pad (like the ones discussed in this thread)? I’m thinking of going with a similar solution but am worried that the block will slide off of the processor as I put on the cover.

Hi,
After all of the tries I ended up with the LOCTITE Super Glue. It will never come off😀

I’m kinda surprised that super glue has good thermal conductivity.
But more importantly, I was thinking about something less permanent in case I ever change my mind.
Thanks for the tip nonetheless.

Along with the new TOS 5 clean installation settings, I repeated the CPU cooling adjustment.

Idle temperature Turris Omnia

1 - 74 st. Celsia:
on CPU: originál thin double sided adhesive tape (0,2 mm ?)
on cooler brick top: originál termo pad 2,5 mm

2 - 68 st. Celsia
on CPU: originál thin double sided tape
on cooler brick top: Arctic termo pad 2x1,5 mm

3 - 64 st. Celsia
on CPU: Arctic silver 5 compoud paste
on cooler brick top: Arctic termo pad 2x1,5 mm

4 thermal pad +arctic silver 5 day

63 degrees right now in my case with third option. Go with the third option. (FYI: I got it on both sides -arctic termo pad)

There’s a patchset that adds cpuidle support. It’s extremely unstable though. Freezes the router on high I/O. TurrisOS3 has it included.