OpenVPN server easy and fast

mel jsem stejny problem pred pul rokem nechal jsem sit 10.8.0.0 . a v luci jsem zmenil rozhrani na staticke ip kde jsem dal 10.8.0.1 a ejhle vse fungovalo.

is correct entry (resp. you don’t need to specify 10.8.0.1 it will be assigned by dhcp or via static ip on correspond net.device “tun_turris” , normally it should be unmanaged and it should be defined in /etc/config/network )
for client-to-client operation you have to add option topology 'subnet' into /etc/config/openvpn
and maybe also push directive for dhcp …if you want client-to-client, if you keep clients isolated, their own/main dhcp/dns will be serving, and if there will be one or the other network/subnet present already routing became fuzzy…)

Hello,

I dont know what I did, but openvpn is working again. 1st try on 4.0.3 firmware, and it works again.:thinking:

Hello,

To add some positive success reports to this thread – today I managed to set up OpenVPN successfully with the Foris plugin and latest Turris OS 4.x, following the official instructions. Everything worked almost as advertised, with the following caveats:

• The client is Windows 10 using the official OpenVPN connect application. I had to rename the profile downloaded from the router with an .ovpn extension to get the client to import it.
  • On the router side, I initially tried without All traffic through vpn or Use DNS from vpn enabled. This resulted in the client connecting, but no packets getting through to LAN (despite showing up on tun_turris with tcpdump). Enabling both settings solved the problem, but there is probably a bug here.
  • Note that the official Windows client has an option for fallback to Google DNS servers in Settings, I’ve disabled that for obvious reasons.

I have various custom configurations on the router (untrusted VLANs, IPv6 tunnels, etc.), and was particularly pleased that enabling OpenVPN via Foris did not break anything.

Keep up the good work!

I have to second that. Works in the same way for me. :frowning:

@TeTrov: Perhaps we should report a bug then? Have you looked to see if there’s anything relevant in the issue tracker?

Updated to 5.0.0 HBT.

Same issue as before. I cannot get open vpn working no matter what i do.

btw: some of my users reported issues due server vs client version missmatch, resp. due used deprecated options on client side (while client has newer version of openvpn). Issues caused by compress/comp-lzo option.
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/DeprecatedOptions
For some users i have to edit the config based on their OS/openvpn-client version(s).

Hi,

The firewall rule was added but not active. After activating it, openvpn works.

Sorted. Glad I have it up and running again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if it has been answered before, this thread is just too long and diverse.
I have already read about “redirect-gateway def1” but, is there any way to route traffic through the VPN only for some clients? For example those who are abroad.

I would also love to suggest a graphical way to change where ipp.txt is stored so that I can have a static IP assignment for clients without this file being redirected every time I make any changes to the server through the web interface, or just the graphical option to assign IPs to clients.