Omnia / 5.0 keep writing to mmcblk0 even though there are no apps and no reason to do so

I think you should better specify what you mean by “all writes”. If you want to run the system from eMMC, then there will always be system updates which need to write to the eMMC. So at least these writes are unavoidable.

One idea I got is the following - could you try to remount the root (/) readonly after boot? That way you could be absolutely sure nobody is writing anything to the eMMC. And looking in the logs, you would probably find the apps that try to write someting. I’d also be quite interested in knowing who the bad guys are. But if I remember correctly, every time my filesystem got into readonly mode (due to some error) on TOS 3.x, resolving (a.k.a. kresd) stopped working immediately.

At least kresd is under the maintenance of CZ.NIC, so they should be able to explain why and what does it write. procd is the generic “init” process, so that one is very unspecific.

Another way of finding out what’s writing and where could be periodical saving of the output of lsof (with a well curated set of parameters). If you roughly know the times at which the writes happen (they seem periodical), you can just run this for a few minutes and if you’re lucky you’ll catch the bad guys in action.

As @anon82920800 said, disk utilization via htop/iotop is unavailable in TOS 4/5. In 3.x it works. If you’d like to have it available in TOS 4/5, please write it in Where are iftop, iotop, nethogs and friends? to show CZ.NIC there is a non-singular user base that is interested in having the required kernel flags set. They said it’s possible to enable everything that’s needed for showing disk utilization, but maybe they just need a little bit motivation to do so :slight_smile: