No signal on WAN + cannot access LAN

Hey everyone.

I recently got the Turris Omnia 2016 router and I was quite hyped to start it. I plugged the Omnia to my existing router as a LAN → WAN connection. The Omnia recognized the WAN connection but the router did not recognize any device with Omnia’s WAN MAC address.

As I plugged in my laptop and desktop to the LAN ports, neither the computers nor the Omnia recognized the connection. I’ve tried resetting, medkit, rebooting and trying to create a connection with all of my ethernet cables. What should I do? I think it might be a DHCP problem but I’m not sure.

The best way will be to connect to the serial console and see the output.

After I got a serial connection and booted it, this is the output I got:

U-Boot SPL 2015.10-rc2(Oct 06 2020 - 03:14:44
                                             High speed PHY - Verson: 2.0
SERDES0 card detect: EX

Initialize Turrisboard topology
DetecteDevice ID 6820
board erDes lanes topology deails:
 | Lane #  | Sped |  Type       |
 -----------------------------
 |   0    |  5    PCIe0 |
 |   1    | 5   |  USB3 HOST0   |
 |  2    |  5   |  PCIe1
 |   3    |  5   |  UB3 HOST1   |
 |   4    | 5   |  PCIe2        |
 |   5  |  0   |  SGMII2        |
-------------------------------
oll_op_execute: TIMEOUT
                       ** Link is Gen1, check he EP capability
PCIe,dx 0: remains Gen1
:*Link is Gen1, check th EP capability
PCIe, I 1: remains Gen1
PCIe Idx 2: detected no lin
                           High speed PHY - Ende Successfully
DDR3 Traing Sequence - Ver TIP1.29.0
mory config in EEPROM:0x01
3 Training Sequence -Switching XBAR Window tFastPath Window
DDR3 raining Sequence - Ende Successfully    

After that, the router bootloops. I have no idea what causes this.

Hello,
thak you for the output. Something is wrong, I’m not sure what, but can you please try to update the bootloader to a newer version? In some cases this helps.

You need to perform the serial boot first - please read Omnia - Turris Documentation and follow the Tools and Booting sections.

When you successfully boot the device with kwboot, break the bootloader by pressing any key.

• Download this file → https://repo.turris.cz/hbl/omnia/packages/turrispackages/omnia-uboot_2022.04-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16.ipk and unpack it to get the file uboot-devel
  • store the uboot-devel on the USB drive, formatted to ext/btrfs/fat FS
  • plug the USB stick to the Omnia
  • start the USB system by typing usb start
  • load the u-boot binary to memory by load usb 0 ${kernel_addr_r} uboot-devel
  • initialize the SPI flash memory by sf probe
  • update the u-boot by sf update ${kernel_addr_r} 0 ${filesize}
  • jump into new u-boot by typing reset

Now the Omnia should boot with a new bootloader, let it boot to the fully running system.

Thanks, this will help me. Unfortunately the binaries are X86 only. Is there a way to get ARM binaries by either me compiling them or some other way?

It is part of the u-boot source code.

I got both kwboot and sendbeacon to work but booting with kwboot has variable success. The furthest I’ve gotten with kwboot is 57% after which kwboot either throws an i/o error or an “xmodem: bad message” error. That isn’t my greatest problem though since sendbeacon outputs just 0s for hours on end and does not print 15s at any point without powering the device against the instructions. What could be the problem with sendbeacon?

Hi Hagrid

Thanks for the above. Just before attempting to work on your instructions I thought I will try starting the serial link again. I seem to get different results given below.

High speed PHY - Ended Successfully
mv_ddr: mv_ddr-armada-18.09.2 
ddr3_tip_centralization_tx failure CS #0
Title: I/F# , Tj, Calibration_n0, Calibration_p0, Calibration_n1, Calibration_p1, Calibration_n2, Calibration_p2,CS0 , 
VWTx, VWRx, WL_tot, WL_ADLL, WL_PH, RL_Tot, RL_ADLL, RL_PH, RL_Smp, Cen_tx, Cen_rx, Vref, DQVref,               PBSTx-Pad0,PBSTx-Pad1,PBSTx-Pad2,PBSTx-Pad3,PBSTx-Pad4,PBSTx-Pad5,PBSTx-Pad6,PBSTx-Pad7,PBSTx-Pad8,PBSTx-Pad9,PBSTx-Pad10,     PBSRx-Pad0,PBSRx-Pad1,PBSRx-Pad2,PBSRx-Pad3,PBSRx-Pad4,PBSRx-Pad5,PBSRx-Pad6,PBSRx-Pad7,PBSRx-Pad8,PBSRx-Pad9,PBSRx-Pad10,
Data: 0,64,18,14,20,15,20,20,CS0 , 
0,23,37,5,1,800,0,3,11,27,11,4,0,               2,1,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,         16,15,10,10,3,3,10,15,14,10,0,
0,21,21,21,0,789,21,2,11,27,10,4,0,             2,3,2,0,1,1,1,3,1,1,0,         13,12,13,13,1,1,10,13,11,11,0,
0,21,16,16,0,782,14,2,11,27,10,4,0,             2,2,1,1,1,1,1,0,2,2,0,         12,16,11,11,3,3,10,10,11,11,0,
0,23,44,12,1,806,6,3,11,27,11,4,0,              3,2,3,0,1,1,1,2,0,0,0,         12,12,11,10,1,1,10,11,10,10,0,

********   DRAM initialization Failed (res 0x1)   ********
DDR3 Training Sequence - FAILED
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Does this make more sense? or not?

The above observation is not correct. The error message are the same . Will follow your instruction and let you know . Thanks

May I ask, what serial to USB converter do you use? Some chinese „genuine fake“ UART converters may cause such errors.

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 3B for the UART connection.

Okay, can you please provide the full kwboot log with the error?

The log is usually the following:

doas ./kwboot -t -p -b uboot-devel.kwb /dev/ttyS1
kwboot version 2022.04+dfsg-2
Patching image boot signature to UART
Aligning image header to Xmodem block size
Sending boot message. Please reboot the target...|
Sending boot image header (109440 bytes)...
0 % [.............................+++++++++++++++EE
xmodem: Bad message

Okay, where did you got the uboot-devel.kwb? Can you try it with the uboot-devel from the https://repo.turris.cz/hbl/omnia/packages/turrispackages/omnia-uboot_2022.04-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16.ipk ?

doas ./kwboot -t -p -b uboot-devel /dev/ttyS1
kwboot version 2022.04+dfsg-2
Patching image boot signature to UART
Aligning image header to Xmodem block size
Sending boot message. Please reboot the target...\
Sending boot image header (109440 bytes)...
0 % [......................................................................]
8 % [......................................................................]
16 % [......................................................................]
24 % [......................................................................]
32 % [......................................................................]
41 % [......................................................................]
49 % [......................................................................]
57 % [.........................+
xmodem: Input/output error    

This is what I get when using the supplied binary. Might be caused by the ARM binaries. I’ll try to get a USB to TTL converter tomorrow and see how it will work with the supplied X86 binaries.

Can you please describe the process you do?
You should start the kwboot and then reset the Omnia.
Do you have any idea, for how long does it take to transfer the 57% of the file until it breaks?
When the kwboot throws the error, did you observed any change in the LEDs behavior on the Omnia?

I’ve been mainly doing it by rebooting the Omnia, starting kwboot and then rebooting it again when kwboot asks for it. So should I first kwboot and then hold the reset button until 3 LEDs or 4 LEDs light up?

Why??

Start kwboot, reset Omnia. That’s all.

I’m asking, when the kwboot fails sending the image, if you have observed any change in the LEDs behaviour; like it does the same when you reset the Omnia, for example.

No, I haven’t noticed any change in the LED behaviour. It’s just the same static that it has while it’s usually powered on.

Hmm, okay, thank you. Please let me know when you get the USB-TTL converter, if that helped.
I’m not sure how reliable is the serial port on RPi and its buffering.