NAS & SATA maximum hard disk size

Are there any restrictions in relation to the HDD size for the NAS option?

For example, would a 10TB HDD work?

Could I configure 2 HDD in RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration?

AFAIK the SATA card doesn’t support HW RAID, but you could use Linux SW RAID and thus configure as crazy RAIDs as Linux supports including 0 and 1 :slight_smile:

I don’t mind either a software OR hardware RAID configuration … not looking for a speed demon. :slight_smile:

Any takers on the size part of the question … will it be able to support large HDD? is there a maximum? can I have the entire HDD as 1 partition?

Good question. Would like to see an answer.

AFAIK as it is 32-bit CPU, hence 2x8TB would be Max (Ext4 16TB Volume limit, on 32-bit CPU)

Anybody from the actual official Turris Omnia team would comment? confirm?

16TB volume limit is only for 32bit filesystems. It is independent of the CPU. Ext4 64bit file systems are capable of files up to 16TB on an 1 EiB volume.

Apart from this there are other file systems possible.

Even with 16 TB maximum volume size a RAID 1 (mirror) with 2x10TB would work.

Yes, but you cannot run 64-bit file system and it’s tools on 32-bit OS and you cannot run 64-bit OS on 32-bit CPU…
So it is dependent on CPU but not directly.
Of course you could run some other file systems and of course it would depend on RAID level.

There are lots of variables…

This is correct for OS kernels and appications. For file systems this only means a bit more cpu time because you have to handle the lower and the upper 32 bits as 2 integers.

Evil example: reading FAT32 on a Arduino (8bit) is possible but takes more cpu cycles to get the addresses.

No one would be able to read ZFS. It is a 128 bit file system.

It is very inefficent way…
And usually SoC’s used in routers and low cost NAS’es lack the serious grunt anyway, so no one actually supports that, it is pure waste of CPU cycles and makes little sense.
Also as far as I know, it is not quite “plug & play” option.

ZFS is quite different beast, and Linux does not have native ZFS support (last time I checked), so I would leave that out.
BTRFS is Linux alternative to ZFS and adresses EXT4 shortcomings.