NAS disk not visible under windows

I did all that was required from me, but I do not have any chance to acess it.

I spent hours on setting my NAS. I even formated it to ext4.

I does mount under Luci well.

Everything works.

But not visible under windows at all.

Another problems is that the Luci kicked me from acessing 192.168.1.1 in web browser.

Very strange behaviour

Hello,
Did you configure Samba aswell?

@Comodore125

windows does not support ext4. use a linux or Mac OS X to access it directly. Or you can setup samba and access it over network.

Yes.

I did setup samba as well.

Now I can acess disc from windows

But I see one folder inside.
Lost +found

Cliclking on it says: NeplatnĂ˝ popisovaÄŤ (should be Invalid handle or someting like that in english)

When I want to create a folder here. It says I have not enough permission.

It seems stupid for me. I did create an account according to NAS guide.

Using samba, as to setups on other Linux distro’s, you need to create a user then add that user to samba group. With that you setup the samba.conf and then make the directory writable.

I am using samba within the Ubuntu LXC on the Omnia, so i can’t help you with each step on the Omnia, because it is somehow a bit different.

Guys, who have used samba directly on the Omnia. Could you guide him with every step.

1 Like

I used the bit about setting up samba from this guide:

It got me the proper access rights and worked right off the bat.The samba guide from the OpenWrt wiki also works but uses annother aproach. I find this one more convenient.

1 Like

If you see lost+found it means you can access shared directory over network from your windows station now if you can’t write on that disc it means you don’t have proper persmissions for shared folder. Make sure you set in luci Mask for new file Mask for new directories both 777 but it only affect new files and folders created within this new directory and it is very important if your share on turris is /data or /mnt/disk or whatever directory you share make sure to make command chmod -R 777 /data or /mnt/disk or whatever your shared directory is. It will allow to write to this share to anybody and only then you could write files there.

2 Likes

I did it all.

Now I can create folders and upload files.

Thanks.

Anyway, what is the purpose of lost+found folder?

1 Like

You can safely delet lost+found folders because i think only when you run fsck which is linux checkdisk broken lost file can appear in this folder after fsck check finish.

Don’t delete lost+found, Linux uses that to store fragment files it finds if the disk gets corrupted. it should re-create it if necessary, but better to just not delete it at all (because it could have a problem re-creating it too).

it’s sort of like the files chkdsk in windows will give you that it finds.

1 Like

Well windows does the same whne put files into found.000 but i came only after major hardware or software failure, same does linux, files appear there only in this major hardware or software failure, For pas 15 yeas i never ever found any files in lost+found and in case fsck produce something there i gusess you could throw whole disk into grarbage anyway so thats why safely deleted it on any device.

With today’s modern journaled file systems (EXT4 for example) the chances of you losing file chains is rare, but still could happen. Leaving the directory entry doesn’t consume anything more than an inode entry, so no harm done.

The official way to re-create the directory is the command

mklost+found

mklost+found??

Don’t you mean mkdir?

no. mklost+found is an actual linux command. doesn’t seem like the omnia has it though. never mind. some times I forget it’s a limited environment.

Yeah, you gotta love busybox :laughing:.

Btw, thanks for referring to that command. Never knew about that command.

It isn’t an original Unix command, it was added into Linux at some point in the past decade or so I’d say. Way back when we used to make the directory by hand. :wink: Nice thing about mklost+found is that it sets the correct permissions and ownership on the directory for you.

Are there more commands like this? Setting up with the correct permissions is just awesome. I guess it is especially made for lost+found directory right?

Yes, that’s just for replacing a removed lost+found directory. More commands like that? Maybe? There are dozens of hidden little gems, go browse thru /sbin and /bin. :wink:

But you’re right, busybox doesn’t emulate that one. Boo.