Mesh setup with Omnia

It looks like there’s been a year or two since this topic came up with respect to Omnia routers, so I thought I’d see if anyone has done a mesh setup with their Omnia and another OpenWRT device.

I was taking a look at the OpenWRT mesh article and I’ve got another OpenWRT AP type devices that I think I can get running as a mesh point (or I can buy one that is supported by OpenWRT).

Has anyone done this and can you let us know what your experiences with doing this? It looks like this is possible with the 5.x series of TurrisOS at least.

I have some specific questions:

• How hard is it to do with the multiple cards/frequencies?
  • Is it significantly more complicated to do with multiple SSIDs (like I have an IOT SSID plus my regular one)? Like, can I have multiple meshes working at the same time or can the IOT be not-mesh, but the regular SSID be mesh?
  • Is this too OpenWRT for this forum and should I ask these questions there instead?

I purchased 3 Ubiquity Unifi wireless access points and a controller and use them with my TO. I could set up a virtual controller on a local pc or a free AWS server but wanted a local one.

Once set up and configured they’ve been bullet proof and I’ve not messed with them in over a year except to maybe apply an update. It was a little confusing setting them up to have a guest network but once I figured that out it’s been good. I use the guest network on the Unifi devices–not on the Turris Omnia.