Memory - only 1GB

Why only 1GB of Memory? Possible to make the memory expandable?

The “original” Turris had a 2GB on SO-DIMM which makes it expandable by the user - the average price for an SO-DIMM of 8GB is about 40 USD

This should help significantly with the virtual container also. 1 GB of memory is not a lot to share between the host and one or more virtuals.

1 Like

Yeah. I write them about it and answer was:
Sorry I have it only in Czech.
"Vážený pane,

zvýšení RAM není možné, jelikož by to vyžadovalo změnu konfigurace výrobní
linky a úpravy softwaru (bootloader, kernel, …). Tyto úpravy by byly velmi
drahé a náročné.

S pozdravem"

Which translates to…

"Sir,

increasing the RAM is not possible because it would require reconfiguring production
Lines and editing software (bootloader, kernel, …). These adjustments would be very
expensive and difficult.

Regards"

Given you just passed 550000 US$ mark, I’d like to suggest you rethink memory configuration - even though it requires some changes of production line (sw changes are, IMHO, negligible :wink: I’m sure Turris Omnia deserves it!

You can now buy the 1GB extension for $49.

1GB or 2GB with the expansion is already great for a router. But why not make it expandable? 8GB DDR3 SO-dimm costs less than € 40,- (http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/352906/kingston-valueram-kvr16ls11-8.html)

Was impatiently waiting for this possibility and already did it! But, as stated below, why not to do it in professional way, extendable?

Wiring memory to the SoC is the most challenging part of hardware design as it requires parallel bus operated on gigahertz speed. Using DIMM module would probably make it much more complicated and probably also expensive.

Take into account that the cost of original Turris router was as high as 500 USD, Omnia is much cheaper yet powerful.

Remember that it’s a 32-bit SoC. 4GB is the maximum address space for 32bit, and some of the address space is used for memory mapped devices etc. 3GB or 3.5GB would be the maximum, and 2GB isn’t that far from it.

1 Like

Hey! I’m just curious why there are so many desperate and demanding voices about the memory? It saddens me that people get upset about such a cool project like this. Most high end home routers use 256-512 MB of RAM, and they’re often more expensive… What’s the actual use case for 2 GB of RAM?

I also can’t decide if I should go for the perk or not. What do you think?

2 Likes

More is better :wink:
It depends what you’re going to use with your router like web server, database server, plex server, openVPN and so on.
BTW: You can’t upgrade it later, so think about it or you will regret it later.

That’s true… Better safe than sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Turris comes with a VM and you’ll probably want to give 512MB of RAM to that or more depending on what you want to run on it
  2. The more apps you install, the more RAM you need
  3. A RAMdisk is useful to speed up some operations
  4. If you don’t do too much VPNing, you may want to run a caching proxy, adblocker or even a DPI firewall
1 Like

Thanks for the upgrade! I’m looking forward to more freedom regarding virtualizations (for example: ownCloud, FreeNAS, TOR https://discourse.labs.nic.cz/t/running-a-tor-relay-exit-node/208?u=m4x)

Max

Hi,

I´m really exicted about this project, but after additional perk of extra 1 gb ram came out, i can´t decide if I need it…

I´m going to use Turris as router mainly at home or in small office (6 - 10 comupters).
I´d like to play with it as well, but really don´t know if 2 gb ram is not overkill for such (potencial) small network, even if run something bit more “hungry”.

Upgrade is quite expensive for me and i don´t know if it´s reasonable “future proof” thing. Thanks for the advices, I´m just curious student, not expert :slight_smile:

Hey vojthor,

I just finished my studies so I know how you fell like ;-). I wasn’t sure either. But when I was thinking of the possibilities (like stated above), I got the upgrade. This device is running anyway (as a router). And why shouldn’t a powerful device like this do some extra tasks? I think this is the ideal opportunity to start playing around with the virtualization. You don’t need a dedicated server and the WAF is extremely high :wink:

Max

@vojthor - If you have an interest in security, you will probably install some apps which will suck away all your available RAM (and CPU), so the more the better indeed.

@interfaSys give us some examples :wink:

Max

You usually go with Snort or Suricata for deep packet inspection, to prevent threats from the outside to reach your network and to detect infected PCs and phones inside your network, but that will eat a lot of RAM. You can also install an antivirus.

Ideally:

• Snort: 2G
  • Clamd: 500MB

But you can tune these processes so that they do the minimum of what you need for less memory. I think that’s one of the things this project is for and if you then really like it, you’ll probably move to more powerful hardware.

Thanks for your explanation! I’ll look into that too.

Max