Logsend: do you want it or not?

Hello,
Because 2 days ago was released article about data collection I asked why there isn’t also logsend for Omnia.

I think this would be really awesome feature for us, because as we know automatic updates aren’t fully tested (which should be, but what I know Turris team, doesn’t have enough people and they’re overwhelmed)

What I am talking about?
Logsend is feature, which sends logs from the router‘s automatic firmware updates and from the software for data collection. This serves to uncover problems with the router‘s overall health.

When I was asking why there isn’t this feature for Omnia owners.
Respond was:
"
I think there were two issues:

1. that it would be too much data
  2. users wouldn’t like it
    "

But she is not sure about it and said that she will look into it.

In the meantime I think this would be really useful to let Turris team if we want this feature or doesn’t.

• Yes, I want it
  • No, I don’t.

0 voters

Guys choice is up to you. If you don’t like it, please tell us why.

@Vaclav is it ok for you? :slight_smile:

//EDIT: In previous there was some misunderstanding (maybe by me) that it will monitor health of your hardware in your Turris Omnia. Read posts.
I had there: “So it should it mean it will check eMMC & RAM (if it isn’t corrupted filesystem or if RAM is still OK) and so on. I think it will be really useful if it will send also notify above excessive writing on eMMC, when you misbehave configuration of LXC container.”

Hi @Pepe, thanks for your nice post, you’ll receive a nice reply from @miska very soon about monitoring the Turris routers. I’m not sure about the logsend but I’m saying yes to the monitoring!

Have a nice day!

I think you might be mixing various things. From what I was able to find logsend is just a program that will mail you new lines in logfiles. For that, it is possible even currently use syslog-ng, filter whatever information is essential for you and send that to different server/cloud. New syslog that will be in next release will make it even easier. The second thing you want is monitoring - excessive writes, amount of RAM etc. For that is the best option to use some real monitoring. For example zabbix and connect your Omnia to your central monitoring.

EDIT: Off course, patches are welcome and if somebody packages something new and send upstream/us patches, we will be happy to include it.

1 Like

Oh. That’s my mistake.
From this sentence: "it sends logs from the router‘s automatic firmware updates "
If anything goes bad during automatic update it will notify you (and also me) and you can look what was wrong and for the next update it will be better and if router wasn’t updated you can look why and notify me, why don’t I use newer version and what should I do.
You know not everybody is watching when new update was released. If I remember correctly there was thread where automatic updates was on, but it didn’t update router.

From this sentence :"This serves to uncover problems with the router‘s overall health."
I understand that it will monitor health like eMMC, RAM, etc. So it will keep you (and me) updated about HW health.
So if file system was corrupted it will notify me and also about RAM (if there is some CRC fail)

Or the best way would be to include it on statistics which are available in site: turris.cz (when somebody collects data) how much data I wrote in day/week/month on eMMC and about available RAM? :slight_smile: And for example it will notify me when I wrote about 200gb on eMMC.

Anyway you doesn’t respond why it isn’t on Omnia and it should be helpful for you. Logs from automatic updates should be curious, when anything goes wrong.

Let me address some of the things you stated. At first what logsend really does is that it sends only some digested version of system log so we don’t see big picture. It stores it, but there is no automatic processing on top of that. As it isn’t exactly an easy to do so. So only use for us or for you is that we can look for problems in some subset of applications by hand.

But for example now we are not so keen to collect logs from updater-ng as it’s logs contains list of all the software user is using on its router (things that might be considered invasive by someone, original updater was just managing specified set of software not whole system).

Logsend no way checks heath of you device. We don’t collect writes or size of free space in RAM or storage. That would have to be separate program (miska suggested zabbix). It wouldn’t be the bad idea to integrate it somehow, but it won’t be as part of logsend (and I don’t see it as the next feature we will work on).

In reality logsend isn’t in Omnia because we discovered that it has little use for us. It might even be removed all together in future. Diagnostics from Foris gives us more information that logsend ever could.

1 Like