Log explanation

Would anyone be able to explain to me exactly what these pieces in logread means? It repeats itself over and over again.

Nov 24 08:12:01 turris /usr/sbin/cron[2737]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/rainbow_button_sync.sh)
Nov 24 08:13:01 turris /usr/sbin/cron[2801]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/rainbow_button_sync.sh)
Nov 24 08:14:01 turris /usr/sbin/cron[2867]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/rainbow_button_sync.sh)
Nov 24 08:15:01 turris /usr/sbin/cron[2936]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/notifier)
Nov 24 08:15:01 turris /usr/sbin/cron[2935]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/rainbow_button_sync.sh)
Nov 24 08:16:01 turris /usr/sbin/cron[3024]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/rainbow_button_sync.sh)
Nov 24 08:17:01 turris /usr/sbin/cron[3095]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/rainbow_button_sync.sh)

Nov 24 08:44:12 turris 99-dhcp_host_domain_ng.py: Add_lease, hostname check failed
Nov 24 08:44:12 turris 99-dhcp_host_domain_ng.py: Add_lease, hostname check failed
Nov 24 08:44:12 turris kresd[7273]: > hints.add_hosts(’/tmp/kresd/hints.tmp’)
Nov 24 08:44:12 turris kresd[7273]: [result] => true
Nov 24 08:44:12 turris kresd[7273]:

The “cron” entries are fine, everytime some cron/cron.d task is dispatched you will get info in log. “rainbow” is related to “leds” and notifier is tool which send you email notice in case there is some notice generated and waiting in queue.

IMHO …the “dhcp” … , that script is trying to check_host/add_host as part of dynamic-domains option, somehow that file is maybe in wrong format or that script is not working properly , as the file is created by kresd, i do not understand why it is complaining about own file/format :). This issue was reported since TOS 3.11.x

Thank you for your answer. I flagged the thread for closing, because by reading I discovered for myself what those strings in the log meant. As for hostname check, it is kersd’s attempt to create human readable addresses of hosts on the LAN in the format “hostname.local”. But if the original hostname is not composed of allowed characters then address creation fails. By renaming the hostnames within LuCI or through configuration files and choosing valid names, kersd returns the success of the operation in the log and in effect the .local addresses work.

kresd itself should be fine with whatever crazy characters in DNS, as the protocol itself allows that, but the dhcp script restricts this – presumably to protect users from themselves.

I’ll have a look into the log showing the offending name.

1 Like

I don’t know what these crazy names are. Actually, that mistake gives it to me without setting any hostname. I leave everything as it is. These are the names that are assigned by the hosts themselves. Then I modified them to make the error disappear.

personally i’ve changed “regexp” in python script /etc/resolver/dhcp_host_domain_ng.py

from: allowed = re.compile("(?!-)[A-Z\d-]{1,63}(?<!-)$", re.IGNORECASE)
to: allowed = re.compile("(?!-)[a-zA-Z\d_-]{1,63}(?<!-)$", re.IGNORECASE)

aside i also changed several hostnames (lower case, no numbers at the end, dash vs underscore…) , just to be double sure.

but still i have some host where i can’t change the name (work laptop, work tablet, work phone…even private phone somehow always put prefix “type-name”-“my-hostname” …

Since that time i do not see errors when dhcp dynamic domains script is called.

1 Like