Local hostnames for homepods not resolving?

Hi there, I was recently looking through my adblock logs on my omnia in luci and noticed a lot of NX results for my various homepods. I cannot figure out why these hostnames are not resolving. Some of them I can still ping from my PC and others do not resolve despite the device still working fine as airplay devices.

Is there some configuration I am missing to make these requests work as expected? Or is this behavior expected? While the homepods appear fine on some of my devices using native connectivity, they do not appear consistently in other third party programs and I suspect this may have something to do with it.

Happy to provide any additional info, thank you

.local queries shouldn’t even make it into DNS. That namespace belongs to mDNS, so the client machines should discover each other directly without interacting with real DNS in this case.

Alright, good to know. The dns making it here may be caused some sort of “Force local DNS” setting I’ve enabled at some point somewhere in LuCI forcing mdns on other devices to ask the router. I’ll report back

Edit: Probably the one in adblock’s settings itself…which I had turned on before to try to get adblock working better on some other devices

I wouldn’t expect so. I can’t see why ad-blocking could relate to mDNS, but I’m no expert on either (I only know “plain” DNS so well).