Linux kernel Turris-OS

I was wondering, will Turris-OS, be going after Openwrt 15.05.1 using 3.18.X or will it go to a later LTS linux kernel? (4.1-4.4).
I saw on github, that some things were changed/added, although i am not sure how to read it/understand it.

Current Omnia firmware is already on 4.4 kernel.

AAh, i see. So then we can expect that Turris-OS will be a fork of openwrt, but also not a fork. What i mean by that is, if every new version of openwrt is released, then Turris-OS will be forked from that new release.

A bit like how many of the Linux distro’s work now a days. For example, Ubuntu 16.04 being released, then after some months a Linux Mint that is based on Ubuntu 16.04 is being released, but with the necessary changes.

So in this case, webinterface, Linux Kernel, settings/configurations, auto-update functionality…at least.

Actually TurisOS has always been a fork of OpenWrt, they import most important changes and latest packages from OpenWrt and build upon that.

Well, if that is the case, then we can expect, TurisOS, also to work with other routers right?

I mean, much of it is software based. Or am i missing something?

Someone could implement some changes from TurrisOS in other routers, however, most of them are Turris and Turris Omnia specific and there would simply be no point in doing so.

Well i am not sure, but i guess there are some routers who have the drivers of the chips already within the Linux kernel.

So about drivers, if the drivers are let’s say within Linux kernel 4.4, then about running out of the box, it is a fact. About the other things, (Turris Omnia specific changes), the team who is doing the fixing and pushing of the updates, are also mostly based on bugs(software bugs not necessarily related to the hardware, although they also might excist).

So to conclude it. If one has a router and has decided to put TurrisOS on it, then he could especially benefit from the auto-update functionality at least. For the rest, openwrt functionality already excist so no worries about that.

Do correct me, if i am saying something that is wrong.

In order to benefit from the automatic update feature of TurrisOS they would need to support routers other than Turris and Turris Omnia as this feature is based on packages compiled by the CZ,NIC and hosted on their servers.

Af for the drivers, kernel version does not matter much, apart from current improvements. Having a support for certain feature or driver in the kernel does not automatically mean it will work. The kernel has to be configured with support enabled for certain feature or hardware (driver).

I see.

So if i understand it correctly is that CZ.NIC has within the Turris Omnia (maybe hardware related) something that identifies to the server of CZ.NIC that it is a Turris Omnia-router which is like a green card to receive auto-updates.

If i had a Raspberry Pi 3 with Turris-OS running on it, then i can assume that it is a no go for the automatic updates. It has nothing that can identify to the server of the CZ.NIC that it is a Omnia or what have you.

Kernel has also security fixes (dirty cow) or fixes for bugs/or improvement. It could also contains new features or even new/better driver support.

In kernel it’s better to have mainline support or have atleast version like Omnia 4.4.
Because you don’t want to have device (SBC) which doesn’t have mainline kernel and that means that you will have forever in your device kernel 3.14 and even older version.

Big_boss: after some time TurrisOS will migrate to newer version of OpenWRT/LeDE. Myself I experienced it, when TurrisOS upgrade to newer version of OpenWRT in previous Turris.
Most routers running on OpenWRT have kernel 3.18.x. (Previous Turris has it also)
Omnia is ahead in this way and will be. We’ve kernel 4.4 and soon we can expect the latest version :slight_smile:

You were too fast with your respond. I think that it is like you said about automatic updates. Maybe someone from Turris team confirms it or give us respond how it works.

It’s not like that. You could run TurrisOS for example on a different piece of hardware with same basic components such as Marvell Armada 385 CPU, DDR3 memory, Marvell switches, ATH9K and ATH10K supported wifi cards, and the auto update would function normally, as the platform is the same as the one Omnia uses and hardware is more or less the same.
It’s all about the hardware and software support, not some secret digital handshake to identify Omnia for the update purpose :slight_smile:

Well indeed makes more sense to migrate to a newer version of OpenWRT/LeDE. This also gives the possibility to clean up the necessary stuff.

Although i am not sure what you mean by “latest version”. Are you referring that they might going on the stable version or mainline Linux kernels? Isn´t it wiser to stay on LTS version each time a newer LTS version pops up. Although i can understand if they want to run stable/mainline version because people tend to use their own hardware and we know that latest linux kernel tends to have newer drivers in it. So in the end, more support for the users/customers this way. But on the other hand, like you said that previous Turris also had the 3.18 (which was a LTS version). 4.4 is the latest LTS version also. So maybe they are hopping from one LTS version to another.

Indeed let’s wait out to see if someone of the Turris Team can give us a response about the automatic updates.

Well, the wifi-card, you can expect some people would like to replace them. Or even many who did not even order with wifi-cards, so they put their own wificard(s) in it…which maybe some different card. So already on this, we can say hardware isn’t the same anymore. Although if both are supported out of the box with the Linux kernel, then we do not have to worry about that.

About other stuff, like the ARM cpu, well as long it is a ARM CPU, (like Raspberry Pi 3). If i am correct, Linux kernel 4.8 gave support for Raspberry pi 3, so that also works out of the box now at least with 4.8. So what is left then?

I didn’t check it that 4.4 is LTS, while I was reading on Phoronix about kernel 4.9 my fault.
Maybe I meant we will have mainline kernel support (for someone who will give up automatic updates) or just they’re waiting for another LTS version :slight_smile:

I don’t know how else to explain it to you :slight_smile: You gave Raspberry Pi 3 as an example. Considering that probably TurrisOS and it’s packages are only compiled for Marvell ARM CPU it/they will not run on Raspberry Pi which has Bradcomm ARM CPU.

Well if you look on kernel.org

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

You see the LTS-releases. And looking at the release dates, the LTS version are about 6 months apart from each other, while they say the mainline/stable releases are every 2-3 months.

I mean 6 months isn’t that long of a time right. So the probability of CZ.NIC hopping from one LTS to another is very likely, which is LESS work and better if you ask me.

OOOh, i didn’t know that in case of the ARM CPU’s it is based on the specific brand ARM CPU. I always though it is the same like all 32/64 bit CPU’s in desktop computers. As long as they both are certain type of CPU.

Well then indeed we can expect AT LEAST the TurrisOS packages to be CPU-model-based. While the other packages are taken from openwrt. Right?

It doesn’t depends on brand, but mostly about ARM architecture, which was used.

OOOH i see.

Turris Omnia CPU: Armada 385 = ARM7v

Raspberry Pi 3 CPU: ARM Cortex-A53 = ARM8v

If they both were ARM8v or ARM7v, then would it have worked or still not?

No. Just look at the packages, they are for mvebu architecture, a brand-specific Marvell variation of armv7
https://api.turris.cz/openwrt-repo/omnia/packages/base/