Intermittently dead ethernet ports

Just to add to the comments. I have had similar issues on my setup! It has driven me BatSh*t Crazy thinking it was something I had done wrong. it takes ages before I can get my Linux Server to fully register on an interface after the it has been unregistered for whatever reason. My current predicament is due to the DHCP Lease expiring. although it says the Interface is up and I can see the MAC is registered, things just are not getting through to the Server which is on a separate Subnet / VLAN2 Eth2 Interface from VLAN Eth0.

Its been driving me NUTS!! :slight_smile:

What kind of cables are we using? I was having this problem with this 15m CAT.7 cable. I don’t need CAT.7, but I bought it because I figured it was backward compatible and more or less the same price as cat5e. Maybe there’s a problem either with the cable length or the cable type, but a 1m cat5e works fine for me.

I am using Cat6 as I am for all my LAN Connections to and from the Turris Box

This is a duplicate report of the posting:

DHCP/Network up seems to be flaky

Hi All,

This is being reported by more and more people in more threads. For me router is unusable and totally unreliable in this state. I believe it is HW issue and sent my router for warranty repair. I strongly suggest to inform turris team about this on info@turris.cz and tech.support@turris.cz to prove that there are more occurrences of this really annoying issue.

David

What makes you think its hardware and not software? Are you a hardware professional?

No I’m not HW professional but behavior is strange. Like when you disconnect router from power for 5 seconds ports are working after start, when you disconnect for more than 1 minute they are not working after start. For me it seems like when whole system is fully discharged - longer time without power supply ports are not working. But this is only my speculation will see the response from Turris team from warranty repair process.

I have the same behavior. If I restart my router the LAN ports appear to be disconnected. I have un-plug them and replug again, ALL OF THEM. This is not nice. Already do factory reset and same thing. I think is a software issue but I can’t find why this is happening.

Any of you can test if happen the same?

@miska could you please say something about this?

Thanks

@enavarrocu I can say something: I have big hopes that the software i currently develop should fix this for the moment. It should be ready in a few hours. Swich ports offline if plugged during boot
You may be one of the first ones to try it.

Thanks @adminX, just let me know when is ready.

It is there:

I’m having a problem with an intermittent wired connection from my PC to the TO. When I power up the computer, it connects to the internet, but the connection keeps on dropping temporarily. I’ve tried the cable in both Gigabit sockets on my PC, and in two different ports on the TO, but the problem persists. Any ideas please? Let me know if you need any more info.

Can you try another cable?

1 Like

I can swap out one from another device…I’ll give it a try. I have been using this cable for a few years now for connections to various other routers, and it’s always worked perfectly, but I suppose that something may have broken/worn out…I’ll try later and report back. Thanks for the reply, SQBI.

OK, I finally got around to trying a different cable - no luck, the connection still intermittently dropped.

After a bit of head-scratching, I disabled my anti-virus software (Avast), and that has resolved my issue. I’m trying Windows Defender for a while as a replacement - so far, the connection seems to be fine.

Good to know. You could report your issue to the Avast’s tech support.

I may try to verify it by reinstalling first, but good idea - thanks.

the issue where the ethernet ports don’t come up at boot with certain devices was fixed in the kernel included with the recently released 3.5.2. I used to have that issue but don’t anymore post that update.