[Solved] Huawei E3372s-153 in NCM mode not working

Hi,
I managed to make my E3372h-153 (stick mode, NCM) work with Turris Omnia, but yeah, I found several obstacles along the way.

Setting more options, ex. to force lte or persistent connection breaks config and wwan0 is not showing up.

Yeah same experience here. Another obstacle I hit - I chose a bad firmware to reflash my stick with, and it did not report the correct manufacturer in the ATI reply. Thus the connection scripts failed. Firmware version 21.315.01.00.143 did work for me.

In short

opkg install comgt-ncm kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm usb-modeswitch kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-usb-serial-wwan

Using minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 (or minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB1, can’t remember now) change the config of the USB stick:

AT^SETPORT="FF;12,10,16"

(FF to disable SD reader & CD-ROM emulation, 16 to enable the NCM mode. You can leave 10 (PPP interface) enabled e.g. for testing or some legacy systems.)
Reboot the router or unplug/plug the USB stick so it reloads with the new interfaces.

Edit /etc/config/network

config interface 'wwan'
        option proto 'ncm'
        option ifname 'wwan0'
        option device '/dev/cdc-wdm0'
        option apn 'internet'
        option pincode '1234'
        option delay '10'

(That delay was important for my setup, otherwise the scripts started sending the AT commands too soon and the communication would time out.)

ifup wwan should now work.

I wrote down my experience in more detail in Czech but you may find some interesting links in my posts.

1 Like