How to setup the SSD

I followed the very good YouTube video showing how to install an SSD. Sorrry guys, I’m a noob. Is there a post that provides instructions regarding: mounting, formatting, sharing etc?

You can follow the steps in: mSATA NAS setup - solved

It looks to me as if the SSD is not seen by the router at /dev. The fdisk command returns the following message:

“Device does not contain a recognized partition table.”
“Created a new DOS disk label with disk identifier 0xe6e73459.”

Any ideas?

Create a partition table on the disk?
Using some Google-fu it should not be that hard to figure out :wink:

Sorry?

Are you suggesting that I remove the drive from the Turris and format it on another computer?

try to run command fdisk -l in an ssh console. this should list the SSD /dev/sda most probably.
once it works , try to run fdisk /dev/sda (or the sdx whichever it shows in the output of the command above)
with “m” you can list all the fdisk options. (i suppose you want to make a new partition, once finished choose “w” to write changes to disk)

if you succeeded creating a partition (or more) you want to make sure you format it to some file system of your choice. usually it can be done with the mkfs.xxxx commands, (hit a few TAB after entering a few letters of the command)

(just making sure, did you insert the ssd into the slot closest to the CPU?)

i am also a very basic user, just tried to help.
one thing is sure, you can make the ssd functional in the omnia, no need to edit the ssd in another computer.

2 Likes

I would advice you to tell in a post exactly what you want to do. I haven’t configured my own SSD yet because i am waiting for the firmware updates. I/we can guide you through the steps for what you want to achieve.

For example…

SSD size = 64 GB

I want 2 partitions.

Partition 1 = 32 GB
Partition 2 = 32 GB

Partition 1 will be used for Omnia to be reached via network (SAMBA/SMB)
Partition 2 will be used for LXC.

If you give such a example of what you want to achieve, then we can help you step by step with formatting and other things.

If you are bored using fdisk, just use cfdisk, it’s more easier to “see” what you are doing.