How to make DNS resolv working in Majordomo?

Yes, I see something like this now. Probably after 3.4. update. I expected more names and less IPs

Yeah… they’re also less IPs recognized even on Turris 1.x. :sob:

what? so this feature actualy got worse?

For me after last update change nothing, still not resolving, still showing only IPs.

1 Like

Am I the only Omnia owner who does not get DNS resolve working in Majordomo, yet? Do you have any hints where to look/what to change? Updates 3.4 and 3.5 did not help.

Hello,
Please contact tech.support(at)turris(dot)cz about it.

Because when I was speaking with them, they weren’t aware about this issue.

For me it started working after factory reset when I started new database.

It doesn’t work for me, but I don’t rely on that too much, so I didn’t debug it in any way… But if you will find solution (another than “factory reset” :slight_smile:) please share…

Hi, just for your information - I faced same problem last weeks and the last update corrected this bug in my case - for actual as well as for historical data (previous month).
I have new Omnia HW and DNS set manually to google/NIC serevers.
Majordomo DB is stored on SD card.
Router restarted automatically and Majordomo shows names correctly now.

I as well suffer from missing IP resolve.

Is there any chans of getting majordomo showing the names properly without deleting everything and begin new?

Sorry for confusing you.
I checked it again and no, Majordomo does not translate IP addresses also in my case.
Something is wrong still.
Successful translation of local HW addresses confused me.
My apologies.

I just checked majordomo and have the same problem. The IP addresses did resolve for me but just with 3.4 version - it didn’t work before and it doesn’t work since 12 Jan when 3.5 was installed.

Hey, It seems to work. At least in live connections graph.

First I see only ipv4/6 numbers and then dns resolv does all the magic.

I set in interface setting dns manualy to all four adresses in https://www.nic.cz/odvr/ article.
https://www.nic.cz/odvr/ (english version)

Actualy, it is still terribly shitty. 0% working. (I made all the wise changes to DNS)

Is there anyway to get the resolve working preferable without complete deletion of majordomo db?

I was hoping 3.5.3 would solve this.

They only way I could get it to work was to delete majordomo_db and recreate it, I know that isn’t what you want to hear but that was the only way I could get it working.

It is not necessary to delete files in the database, just in /etc/cronu.d/ create a file containing

MAILTO=""
# m h  dom mon dow  user  command
4 */6 * * *	root	majordomo_cache.lua precache # or mayby */12 if the database is big
#

which will add the missing translations of IP addresses.

Or insert it via Luci <router>/cgi-bin/luci/admin/system/crontab

MAILTO=""
4 */6 * * *    /usr/bin/majordomo_cache.lua precache # or mayby */12 if the database is big

This condition is caused by the fact that the script majordomo_locked_precache.sh starting in the file /etc/cron.d/majordomo not have enough time to go through all the database files (only 45 min), because the database is already too big.

Edit: Also must be disabled startup majordomo_locked_precache.sh inside file /etc/cron.d/majordomo

` …

4 * * * * root majordomo_locked_precache.sh

and restart cron "/etc/init.d/cron restart`"

I will write to the support to do something about it.

5 Likes

Tried to, failed after some hours…

[...]
nslookup: can't resolve '(null)': Name does not resolve
nslookup: can't resolve '(null)': Name does not resolve
lua: /usr/bin/majordomo_cache.lua:72: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        /usr/bin/majordomo_cache.lua:72: in function 'precache'
        /usr/bin/majordomo_cache.lua:124: in function 'main'
        /usr/bin/majordomo_cache.lua:132: in main chunk
        [C]: ?

Running right now, think the problem was a folder in majordomo database folder.

My mistake, I forgot write that they must by disabled startup majordomo_locked_precache.sh file inside /etc/cronu.d/majordomo (and restart cron “/etc/init.d/cron restart”). Otherwise they fighting over files the database

I disabled it, as it were mentioned already above. Run completed at 5.30am this morning, started it at around 7pm yesterday, took a while. Disabled all cron entries and stopped the service… Let’s see how it works now…

I remind you that it is necessary after this new update, check and adjust the trigger by my earlier contribution 36.

Unfortunately I have bad news, by Support the Majordomo will not continue to develop (improve), because apparently is doing something else better.

(One good is here, already works when the user ticks in settings the Majordomo that do not want to translate IP addresses to DNS names, so it’s been really does not translate.)