How to flash a new u-boot on Turris Omnia

How I can update uboot for Omnia (revision CZ11NIC13)?

Different topic though

:warning:

:warning:

Contain uboot-turris-omnia-spl.kwb and omnia-initramfs-zimage from https://repo.turris.cz/omnia/nor_fw/ same uboot as revision CZ11NIC23?

I will answer myself: no.

My Omnia: U-Boot SPL 2015.10-rc2 (Aug 18 2016 - 20:43:35 +0200)
uboot-turris-omnia-spl.kwb: U-Boot SPL 2015.10-rc2 (Dec 19 2019 - 02:46:49)

My MOX: U-Boot 2018.11 (Dec 16 2018 - 12:50:19 +0000)

Where I can download images with newer uboot for Omnia with SFP automatic detection and switching?

As far as I can tell the u-boot images are tailored to the respective hardware device tree and thus differ between the different TO hardware revisions (notwithstanding the MOX).

From the developer team [1]

Once a new u-boot is ready, we will let you know.

[1] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/turris/turris-os-packages/issues/485

But if CZ11NIC23 have newer uboot and differences between CZ11NIC13 and 23 are cosmetic, new uboot is ready.

If it were just cosmetic than the development team would likely not have encountered some problems that would need ironing?

There would seem some major (chipset) differences between CZ11NIC13 and CZ11NIC20, plus for the latter

Some of the routers in this revision are missing GPIO ports as they were temporarily dropped because of problems getting required parts.

And there might be even different chipsets between CZ11NIC20 and CZ11NIC23 and not just chassis | button colours because for the CZ11NIC23 the automatic SFP switch is being triggered by the presence of gpio@71_4 which however is not present on my CZ11NIC20 node

These revisions require different kernel drivers?

So my motherboard CZ11NIC13 is a defective product? Can I make a complaint? :stuck_out_tongue:

Defective product is some routers from revision CZ11NIC20 with missing GPIO ports.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Version of u-boot in Turris MOX

Between documentation and forum I did not understand much. I have Omnia with 5.0-dev. How do I update U-Boot? Do I do it with serial cable? Do I do it from Turris OS? What are the steps? How do I know which version I have and if a newer one has been released? Where to download?

It’s my questions above.

I saw that there was an exchange of messages. But in the end did you understand how to do it?
I tried using nor-update from the Turris OS shell and it gives me the message: No stable images yet! Does that mean I already have the latest version?

Nobody from Turris team answers. You can flash memory via mtd-utils, but available images are old.

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/general.html

nor-update is a wrapper for userland

that automates the process since the use of mtd is not for the faint-hearted and assumes a knowledgable user or else the node can be bricked easily.

Once a new u-boot version gets released it is likely that nor-update gets (script) invoked without user intervention and the release notes propagated in the forum presumably advertising such update.

• nor-update via ssh

or

• mtd via ssh

or

• via serial as mentioned

Not for MOX and Omnia CZ11NIC23.

It is also known that the NIC.CZ team is working on an updated version, although the process/progress is not transparent, but as previously cited in this thread (and repeating it does not speed up things)

There are various responses pertinent to the subject from the NIC.CZ team in the forum, as cited (even repeatedly) in this thread.
The thread was conceived during the seasonal holidays and would appear not something interrupting the operations of TOS and thus warranting an immediate response from NIC.CZ team, notwithstanding this being a user community forum.

Issue mentioned above [1] been closed (and locked) without any milestone | assignee set (sans transparent progress) and issue [2] has an assignee set but no milestone and no progress (backlog label).

[2] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/turris/turris-os-packages/issues/462

2 Likes

Full state on uboot for Omnias of all revisions is that we have new uboot running and deployed on CZ11NIC23. Images are not propagated as stable to all Omnias in Turris OS 4.0+ because there are problems we have to iron out. The problem at the moment is that CZ11NIC13 has potentially only two ram chips and that has to be managed in ram training process. It is not rocket science but we are trying to do it in upstreamable way and most importantly our kernel developers are still tied up with Mox issues.

This blocks automatic boot switch between SFP and metalic ethernet WAN and enable of new features in uboot. Neither one is huge problem because automatic switch is not required technically as you can switch to SFP manually (just relink /boot/dtb to appropriate device tree) and new features are not essential. I am not saying that it is ideal state I am just saying that it is not critical such as other issues our kernel developers are tackling at the moment. Please have patient. Those issues are stalling because other issues are being solved.

6 Likes

That is appreciated to a certain extent, yet not being able to boot from a GPT partitioned drive but legacy MBR only is rather unfortunate, not booting from an exterior USB drive notwithstanding.

That being a well rehearsed tune it is not for the first time that

is being cited for delays on the other platforms. Of course the M issues have to be sorted but it comes at the expense of the other platforms and the M issues seems to be home-grown in the first place, least what transpires in the public domain.

The developer team been spread thin already prior the inauguration of the M platform and with all teething problems seems to be drawing a considerable amount of resources away that creates an imbalance for the other platforms.

I do acknowledge and appreciate the amount of work being undertaken but unfortunately it seems that the development curve for non-essentials is falling behind again.

Will Omnia CZ11NIC13 with updated u-boot support new reset modes?

https://docs.turris.cz/hw/omnia/rescue_modes/

2 Likes