How to Enable AdBlock only for one VLAN and how to set OpenVPN between two Omnias

Hi, second Turris Omnia for my parents (TO2 on the image) is on the way, so it is time to ask some questions about my future plans for network. They are sharing their internet connection (FTTH) with neighbour. He lives in house about 100m away and connection is made via external Aps (802.11n - 5GHz). Now, they are all in one network and all devices are accessible etc.

First phase:

I would like to create two separate networks on TO2. One for my parents with AdBlock enabled (VLAN1) and VLAN2 for neighbour, without AdBlock (have been trying this at home, but without success). I don´t know if it will be possible then, to access and manage devices on that VLAN from the standard network.

Questions:

1. How to set AdBlock properly, so that it will be active only on standard network and not on VLAN?
  2. How to access and manage devices on VLAN2 from VLAN1?

My actual network settings, when trying VLAN (where AdBlock is still active on both networks lan and lan_2) at home are:

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fd2a:c5a2:11ed::/48'

config interface 'lan'
	option ifname 'eth0.1 eth2'
	option force_link '1'
	option type 'bridge'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'lan_2'
	option ifname 'eth0.3'
	option force_link '1'
	option type 'bridge'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.3.1'
	option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'eth1'
	option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
	option ifname '@wan'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'
	option noserverunicast '1'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '5t 0 1 3'
	option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '4 6'
	option vid '2'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '3'
	option ports '5t 2'
	option vid '3'

config interface 'guest_turris'
	option enabled '1'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'guest_turris_0 guest_turris_1'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '10.111.222.1'
	option bridge_empty '1'

and DHCP

config dnsmasq
	option domainneeded '1'
	option boguspriv '1'
	option localise_queries '1'
	option rebind_protection '1'
	option rebind_localhost '1'
	option local '/lan/'
	option domain 'lan'
	option expandhosts '1'
	option authoritative '1'
	option readethers '1'
	option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
	option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'
	option port '0'
	option localservice '1'
	option nonwildcard '0'

config dhcp 'lan'
	option interface 'lan'
	option start '100'
	option limit '150'
	option leasetime '12h'
	option dhcpv6 'server'
	option ra 'server'
	option ra_management '1'

config dhcp 'wan'
	option interface 'wan'
	option ignore '1'

config odhcpd 'odhcpd'
	option maindhcp '0'
	option leasefile '/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
	option leasetrigger '/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'

config dhcp 'guest_turris'
	option interface 'guest_turris'
	option start '200'
	option limit '50'
	option leasetime '1h'
	option ignore '0'
	list dhcp_option '6,10.111.222.1'

config dhcp 'lan_2'
	option start '100'
	option leasetime '12h'
	option limit '150'
	option interface 'lan_2'
	list dhcp_option '6,192.168.3.1'
	option force '1'

Second phase:

When everything from phase one will function properly, I would like to create Open VPN connection between TO1 (server) and TO2 (client) for occasional basic file sharing and to have possibility to access and manage devices on VLAN1 and VLAN2 on TO2. I am total noob in VPN stuff so I am sorry for possibly stupid questions.

Questions:

1. Am I right that TO1 and TO2 must have different own ip addresses (e.g. TO1 – 192.168.1.1 and TO2 – 192.168.2.1)?
  2. My IP and parent´s IP change very occasionaly (both ipv4). Is it possible to set both omnia´s to send e-mail when IP is changed?

Other questions about VPN will probably come later…

Thank you for help. :smiley:

Well, the adblock package works by adding a RPZ rule to knot-resolver. I mainly know knot-resolver, I won’t be much help with other parts of this, I’m afraid. In knot-resolver configuration it’s quite easy to add conditionals based on the network prefix of the requestor – I suppose you want to lay out your IPs that way anyway.

Still, off the top of the head I’m not sure if there’s a nice way to combine this ATM; perhaps one would need to touch the adblock code, because it currently needs dynamically regenerate those config parts. @dibdot: any immediate thoughts? BTW, future knot-resolver versions will auto-reload RPZ files when they change, so that might simplify such set ups due to removing the need to reconfigure knot-resolver when RPZ is updated.

Another solution for DNS/Adblock would be a separated instance of an DNS-Resolver (e.g. PiHole -> Adblocking) running inside a LXC-Container. Then you can tell clients in diffrent subnets to use either default Resolver on router IP or „Adblock-Resolver“ on LXC-Container-IP through DHCP-Settings

When you set up VLANs correctly and attach them to network interfaces on your router there is a route between those VLANs and its subnets known to your router. It‘s then up to your firewall-configuration on your router which network devices are allowed to communicate with each other (forwarding rules between VLAN-Interfaces)

It depends on some things :smile:. First, I assume you want to use OpenVPN? If so at first there is only a point-to-point connection between your TOs with its own network interface and IP. In this setup your TOs can have the same IP-Adress on their LAN-Interfaces. But you can only access one TO from the other TO, but you can’t access Clients behind them (e.g. in LAN or any other subnet)

To access Clients behind the TOs you need to set up routing correctly between your TOs (in an OpenVPN routed TUN connection), also called „site-to-site Connection“. For this to work the LANs of your TOs need diffrent Subnets, otherwise there would be IP-adress-conflicts.

An OpenVPN point-to-point Connection is quite easy to set up, a site-to-site setup is much more complex and you need some basic understanding of network,routing,firewalls,VPNs, etc. But there are some good tutorials to find though (look for OpenVPN site-to-site setup).

You should have a look at DynDNS. It updates a Domain every time the WAN-IP changes. TO has a DynDNS Client that supports many DynDNS Providers

Thank you for answers.

I was thinking about PiHole. It works now, thank you.

But I have problem to make possible communication between VLANs. I set this rule for testing it in firewall (later I put there only specific mac address):

config rule
	option target 'ACCEPT'
	option src 'lan'
	option dest 'lan_2'
	option name 'lan_lan2'

config rule
	option enabled '1'
	option target 'ACCEPT'
	option src 'lan_2'
	option dest 'lan'
	option name 'lan2_lan'

I cannot ping 192.168.3.2 from VLAN1 - “Destination port unreachable”, but I am able to ping 192.168.3.1.
From VLAN2 I can ping 192.168.2.1, but no other address. I think this firewall setting should work, but it is not…What is wrong? Can you please help me to correct firewall rules above?
As a workaround I have sacrificed one LAN port and added it to VLAN2 to be able to connect there with cable. :roll_eyes:

As VPN I am planning to use OpenVPN in „site-to-site connection“, but this will be actual after VLANs configuration will be working.