How to disable wireless isolation

Hi.

I think that wireless isolation is enabled by default - devices on my 2.4GHz network can’t access those on my 5GHz network.

How do I disable isolation, so that devices can communicate between the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks?

TIA.

Crash

by default there is no such seperation, that is except for potential guest networks, also assuming that the same encryption passphrase and encryption method is used on both bands.

You may check in LuCI whether the interfaces are bridged correctly and are in the same firewall zone.

1 Like

Hi n8v8r, thanks for your reply.

How can I tell, in Luci, whether the interfaces are bridged correctly? Sorry, I’m still learning here…

Crash

network -> interfaces -> lan

1 Like

Thank you again for your help - much appreciated.

I checked, and this was all set up OK.

Further investigation, and a bit more detail: I found that my Chromecast, which connects to the 2.4 GHz band, was not visible to devices on the same band. If I connected a device to the 5GHz band, the Chromecast was visible.

I fixed this by disabling AP Isolation on the 2.4 GHz wireless device. To do this, I edited the /etc/config/wireless file and changed the line ‘option isolate ‘1’’ to:

option isolate ‘0’

After a reboot, the problem is solved - I can now see the Chromecast whichever band I connect my device to.

I hope this information helps someone else out there.

1 Like

:+1:

Good to hear that has been fixed. I am not sure how the band isolation incurred at your box but it usually is not set by default, only for guest networks to isloate from the other lan.

Yes, no idea how it got enabled in the first place - I’m still quite a n00b, and haven’t fiddled with the default setup much at all…