How to create vlan for security cameras?

Hi there. I am buying an ip security camera for my home. I dont trust that camera very much (Chinese brand) and from what I read, one solution is to put the camera(s) on separate vlan so they can’t see other computers/devices on my network and also block access to Internet for anything on this vlan (will store and review video locally only).

Can you please help me create such vlan? I have Turris Omnia and sw version 3.11.23
I understand that vlans are “interfaces” and can be set in LuCI, but not exactly sure how and what to set to achieve what I need.

Thanks for any help.

Hi @urza_cc first of all things, you should consider upgrade to the latest version of TOS.

1 Like

I am afraid to do that, becase there is a lot of forum posts when that break something, e.g. see

especially it seems that vlans are affecterd.

I would rather wait for my omnia to auto update when ready.

I have found a youtube tutorial that does almost exactly what I need - separate part of network for IOT devices in OpenWRT.

Can someone help me what to choose here when creating the new “ipcams” interface?

To clarify my question - I expected there will be something like eth ports 1-5 and I will select which one I want for this new sub network. Isn’t it how it works? So I am confused what are these eth0, eth1 etc there…

Do you have any VLAN configured in TOS 3? If not, you can safely upgrade to TOS5.
The setup of VLAN is much easier on TOS5 than on TOS3.

One-year-old thread. Over time, things improved, at least in the migration. Yes, there was a change in how VLANs can be configured. If you are not using VLANs right now, it does not make sense to configure it now on the older version of Turris OS.

I need to say that the migration script is quite complex, and issues might appear due to complicated configurations for experienced users who edited scripts or touched configuration scripts by themselves. But if you configured it in LuCI, it should be safe. Anyway, for most users, it should be alright…

Feel free to upgrade to the newer version of Turris OS and we will gladly help you configure the VLANs.
E.g. VLAN - Turris Documentation could help you.

Since you asked when it is ready, it is getting closer and it will be soon.

1 Like

To clarify my question - I expected there will be something like eth ports 1-5 and I will select which one I want for this new sub network. Isn’t it how it works? So I am confused what are these eth0, eth1 etc there…

Yes, it is the drawback of running very old version of Turris OS. You will see the LAN0 - LAN4 ports as separate interfaces in the recent version.

Ok I will try to migrate to version 5 first… I have nothing special, just basic services and everything was done from GUI, so hopefully will be painless. It should remember my config (wifi networks, firewall rules,…) right?

Make schnapps backup before migrating.

I enabled the updater and now I see this when I come to turris IP address:

Is it normal?

The update to version 5 finished successfully. It looks much more intuitive.

Let’s see if I can manage to create vlan and isolate my cameras…